Re: CIBOLA ZUNI TRIP - silent hunter

Moderator: Jim_b

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by silent hunter »

To answer your question in short Jim, Yes I saw the real Zuni in that canyon dressed in the old ways. They looked like demons straight from hell, I have never seen a Indian dressed like that. They had feather head dresses on that were black feathers from birds I believe road runners and there were these blue feathers also from the blue bird. There head dresses were huge and looked like they were ready to kill!!!!

They were in traditional clothing carrying bows and arrows. They had round body shields on that were six point stars turned upside down. They looked just like the drawing. I will never forget the look of those Zuni, and had heard tales of people breaking down on the side of the road on that stretch of road and never found again. It is known in those parts never leave your vehicle if it breaks down. Did I mention the witches that live close?
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Jim. The answer is no!! There were no zuni living in the canyon at anytime in the last few hundred years. I hope I answered the question.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

silent hunter wrote: To answer your question in short Jim, Yes I saw the real Zuni in that canyon dressed in the old ways.
silent hunter,

Wild Mushrooms will sometimes do that to people.... :mrgreen:

I didn't think there had been any Zuni around in a long time. You're going to have to tell us when you are "visualizing". :lol: Maybe I'm just not reading close enough....

Jim
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I spent five years following the trail to Kolhu / wala:wa or zuni heaven. I wasn't going to bring it up - is this something we can talk about on here? It ties in to the spanish search for the lost cities of gold.

I followed the bare foot trail behind those indians from a small res located on the arizona side of the az new mexico border. From there I followed them to witch wells, to the salt lake, to the underground lake, then from there across the little colorado passed north of st. johns az to a valley called concho valley, and then ending the trip on a hill top looking 360 degrees in all directions over the badland area.

At the top of the hill was a opening or a crack in the earth. Inside the hole the floor was covered in prayer sticks with turquoise and nuggets of gold, coral and silver tied to them. They were made in shapes of bows, stars, spears, and shapes of animals. Under the newer ones were older ones and then as I sifted the floor, there was layers where they have been throwing these sticks into this crack.

Along the trail in witch wells was a canyon that looked liked someone dug this valley out of sand stone. The walls were covered in writings and caves had been dug into the sand stone. Tunnels running everywhere, this small tear in the earth was 50' across and 1/8 mile long in the middle of sand dunes and cedar trees so thick you could lose your own hand. Does anyone else know of the zuni trek? It is known as the barefoot trail. They make the trip every four years to a mountain.

Everyone thank you for your interest in this subject. It was one of my first finds and it was 15 years ago. I am going to my house in pinetop to get some photos of the hike this week end. I'll get some scanned into my system - they are all old school photos. The trail is a real journey that a small band still make in barefeet while the rest drive their cars to the base of this hill and hike to the top for the ceromony. It was this small band called the old ones that I followed. They still took the journey in bare feet and stopped at all the old locations.

The first stop I'll talk about after I get the photos is the tear in the earth (my name for the place). It is located near a small town called witch wells. It is a place in a sandy desert that has opened up and into a mini canyon cut into red sandstone on flat land in thick sand and cedar trees. I will get the photos this weekend and continue on with the trail from zuni to the the salt mother or known to the zuni as Ma'l Okyattsik'i a hidden salt lake in the middle of the badlands and also next to the salt lake a small volcano filled with cold fresh water.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

The Zuni indians at the 2002 census were 12000 strong.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

silent hunter,

You are confusing the $#@*! out of me here with this Zuni story.
Maybe I better just keep silent and listen. :lol:
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

silent hunter:
Thanks for telling us your story.I am somewhat familiar with some of the history of the Zuni,also known as the Moqui and some of their legends.They have been a study topic of mine for some time and I am following your accounts and thoughts with much interest as well.Please continue.

Regards:SH.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Jim. I extend to you this offer. I invite you yourself to take that trip with me one day soon. I’m trying to tell a story of a race of “human beings” The caretakers of peace thought to be a myth. I found those human beings, the real ones who still eat and live in the ways of old. Even if it was for just those days, I lived one thousand years ago. I at a point removed my shoes from my feet and begin to shed civilization and walk into the unknown with no canteen very little food and no bed roll. I went thru a valley were at night in the dark you could still here them singing there songs from day’s gone. I had wondered behind them drinking what I could from the springs and eating nothing but some jerky I brought. I was out there alone and wondering. I am not sure of some things that my eyes seen still to this day. However I am sure that I was there in that desert and what I found I have found again and can take you to each location.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

silent hunter,

I KNOW you are not a BS'er, and I KNOW you are not a "Druggie".
I will walk that journey with you some day. Maybe then I will understand.

Jim
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Hattman I hope you enjoy this tale. The zuni have a strange and magical history unlike no other. They speak a language that is not connected to anything on earth. They have a recorded history dating 2000 years and have lived in the same spot. On that trip on a rock left for me was the same color of feathers. The Return of the Clouds
A Tale from the Folklore of the Zuni Indians of western New Mexico

The Four Feathers-
Ahaiyuta (ah-high-YOU-tah), a boy of the Zuni Indian tribe, had reached the age where he wanted to prove that he was no longer a child but a man. One day, Ahaiyuta's grandmother sat him down and said,
"To prove your manhood, you must do something that no one else has ever been able to do. You must find Cloud Eater and kill him so that we may have rain." Cloud Eater was a monster as tall as a mountain who had a never-ending appetite for clouds. Somtimes he was able to devour every cloud in the sky, creating a terrible drought. Many brave men had traveled in search of Cloud Eater, hoping to destroy him, but none could even find the monster's home.

To help him on his way, Ahaiyuta's grandmother gave him four feathers: one red, one blue, one yellow and one black. The red feather was to guide him in the right direction, the blue feather gave him the ability to talk to animals, the yellow feather allowed him to shrink in size and the black feather had a mysterious power of its own. Ahaiyuta's grandmother told him that the black feather was most powerful of all and that he would know when its powers were needed.

The Red Feather
To begin his journey, Ahaiyuta stuck the red feather in his hair and spun around his place. When he came to a stop, he began walking in the direction the feather was pointing. After walking all day, the air was getting hotter and hotter and there were no signs of life anywhere. Ahaiyuta was very surprised when a mole popped up from a hole in the ground.

The red feather tells Ahaiyuta where to go

The Blue Feather
Ahaiyuta quickly put the blue feather in his hair and asked the mole if he knew where Cloud Eater lived. The mole replied that he was heading in the right direction, but that he was four days' journey from the home of the monster. He invited Ahaiyuta into his tunnel so that they might escape the heat.

The Yellow Feather
Ahaiyuta put the yellow feather in his hair and soon began to shrink until finally he was the same size as the mole. The two of them climbed into the underground tunnel and began to talk.

Ahaiyuta has shrunk so he can fit in the mole's hole.

The mole told Ahaiyuta that Cloud Eater had been eating not just clouds, but everything in sight. The mole had been the only animal to escape because of his underground tunnel. Ahaiyuta was so angry that he became more determined than ever to destroy the monster.
The mole led Ahaiyuta through the tunnel for four days, until finally he stopped and whispered to Ahaiyuta that they were directly under Cloud Eater's house. They were so close that Ahaiyuta could hear Cloud Eater's heart beating through the top of the tunnel.
Ahaiyuta follows the mole through his tunnel until he was directly under Cloud Eater.

The Black Feather
At first, Ahaiyuta wasn't sure what to do, but the he remembered the black feather. Hoping it was the right time, Ahaiyuta put the black feather in his hair and took out his slingshot. He put a pebble in the sling and pulled it back hard. As soon as he released the rock, there was a loud rumble and the ground began to shake. Ahaiyuta was knocked flat as the tunnel collapsed, and the next thing he knew he was sitting on the ground staring at the dead body of Cloud Eater.

Ahaiyuta, perched on a rock, uses his slingshot to kill Cloud Eater.
He didn't understand what had happened until the mole explained that his aim had been so perfect that the rock had hit Cloud Eater in the heart, killing him. When Cloud Eater fell, he had collapsed the roof of the tunnel, and the mole had dragged Ahaiyuta to saftey.
looked up at the sky, where clouds had begun to form, and they shouted with delight as it began to rain.
And that is the story of Ahaiyuta and how he saved his Ahaiyuta thanked the mole for saving his life and for helping him kill Cloud Eater. They stood and people and brought back the clouds on his way to becoming a man.