Farewell to Ray Ruiz

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

Farewell to Ray Ruiz

Post by Jim Hatt »

LDMGOLD wrote:Jim:

Also Jim: If probably already know, but Ray Ruiz passed away on August 25, and was buried September 1, 2010. He was 97 years old and as sharp as a tack about history, and anything he did. Ray Ruiz is going to be missed by a lot of Ham Operators and others. As you know Ray G. Ruiz was the owner and operator of the Bluebird Mine Curio Shop and Ruiz & Sons Marina since 1967. He also owned operated the Canyon Lake Marina from 1957-1967. Ironically I had a long visited with him three days before he passed away.

All take care,

Tom K.

Tom,

Yes, I was aware of Ray's passing, and Doris and I attended his "Visitation" on the 31st. It was one of the saddest days we have had in a long time. I wanted to make a post about it, but I have not been able to find the words to begin. Almost as if... As if I ignored it long enough the need for it would go away, and he would be right back at his computer the next time I stopped in at the Bluebird.

It is a shame he never documented his knowledge of the history of the area. He did not do much posting in the forums here, but he was a registered member, and he enjoyed reading them several times a day.

When Ray smiled, he did it with his whole face. When he laughed, it was like thunder that filled the room, and you could not keep from laughing with him.

That is what I will remember most about him!

Ray in 2009 during during a small private party we had for him on his 96th Birthday. (Q-Ho-Tay was his Cherokee name)

Ray at his computer (which he really enjoyed working and playing with) in his workshop.

Ray pointing the way to the gold of Superstition Mountain
“It lies right over there”… is what he told me when this photo was taken

Ray was born on an Indian Reservation in Oklahoma in 1913, but he had no birth certificate. The earliest record he could produce as formal records was 1916, when he came to Arizona (at the age of 3) with his Grandparents who raised him. So his official records showed him as coming into existence in 1916. (The year he was first registered as becoming a resident of an Indian Reservation in Arizona)

He grew up living on Indian Reservations in Arizona. I remember him telling me that Indians could leave the reservations during the daylight hours, but they had to be back on one (any one) of them before nightfall.

There once lived an individual in Apache Junction, whom Ray knew his parents to be Italian, but the individual told everyone he was a full blooded Indian. Ray never outright challenged him about it, but always humorously referred to him as being a member of the "WAPaho" Tribe. "Wapaho" is a nickname we have since come to use, for people who exaggerate, or otherwise mis-represent themselves, or their amount of time and experience in the mountains.

He had close friends on several different reservations, and made many trips into the Superstition Mountains when he was growing up. He said they went to areas that had a "special" meaning for the people he was with. It was the only place where he could go at the time, spend the night, and not be afraid of being caught off the reservation after dark. Some of these things he would tell me a little bit about. Some he would not discuss at all.

He would never say anything that would direct me to any certain area. But if I asked him about a specific area I was interested in, he would sometimes respond that... "There are interesting things to be found in that area". That is as close as he would ever come to telling me what he knew about any "special" places in the mountains.

Ray once owned a trucking company in Chandler, Az and Marty Robins drove truck for him for 5 years. Ray played the guitar and banjo and used to play with Marty on weekends before he became famous.

Tom knew Ray much longer than I did, and could probably tell some additional interesting stories about his life in Arizona.

He will be sorely missed every day, until the day we meet up with him again!

Best,

Jim
LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Farewell to Ray Ruiz

Post by LDMGOLD »

I feel compelled to add some remarks about Ray G. Ruiz and his wife Lou Alice, sons Louie and Dale. He was a very hard working and extremely honest man. His word was always his bond. Ray's family, in particular, included his wife Lou Alice who passed away almost nineteen years ago. The one topic that Ray did not talk about much was his love for his wife. He also cared for his children. Although we all knew he was deeply in love with his wife. As a young man he was very good looking and played both the guitar and banjo in different bands. Marty Robbins played with Ray, who actually work for him. My wife Sharon and Lou Alice were very close friends for more than thirty years. They visited for hours on end, either on the phone or in person. My daughter and son worked for Ray when they were high school. Ray helped guide both of our children on the path to honest and integrity. Lou Alice was connected to Ray's hip bone, that is how close they were. His love and devotion to his wife emulated from his sometimes stoic eyes. Lou Alice loved Ray with all her heart and he took care of her until her last day. After she passed away Ray left everything in their home as it was the day she died. Ray trusted my wife to clean and reorganize his home almost twenty years after Lou Alice's death. He told Sharon she was the only person he would trust to do it. Sharon did this for Ray because of her promise to Lou Alice she would help and look after Ray anytime he needed it. Ray wasn't much of a person to ask for help. However after he was ninety-six years old he started calling on friends to take him places and help him out. He offered to pay us, but his money was no good to us. Yes, Sharon and I will miss Ray. We also miss Lou Alice a lot. I believe Sharon and Lou Alice used each other as sounding boards on life in general and even their personal problems. Again these were totally honest people who would not lie to you or deceive you in anyway. Many times Sharon talked with Lou Alice about Louie when he was in Viet Nam with the Big Red Infantry Division. Lou had faith in Louie returning but she needed someone to talk to about it. They both worried together. After all that was what friends were about. In our heart we believe Ray is happy now that he has once again joined his beloved wife Lou Alice. They are both buried side by side in the City of Mesa Cemetery. Ray planned this to be many decades ago. I could write a book on the life of Ray G. Ruiz and his lovely wife Lou Alice. Adios mi amigo.....

I must add one last thing. I have sat with Ray during breakfast so many times over the years I couldn't begin to count them. He told me endless stories about the East Valley, the Superstitions, Native Americans, the Cherokees, and many, many more. However, one thing I remember most is his love for hot chili, such as jalapenos, tepins, etc . He claimed they were extremely good for your health. Well, Ray lived to be ninety-seven years old so he must have known what he was talking about.

Tom K.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.
~Dale Evans

Jim
We all know who the Wapaho is HAHAHA.

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter
leobeeblebrox

Post by leobeeblebrox »

Ray's sister (NINA DES MARAIS,Albuquerque,N.M.-89 years old)
died July 13 2011.
She told of "picnics" on superstition mountain with Ray , packing lunch and dynamite!
REST IN PEACE