We don't need any more lost hikers!

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: We don't need any more lost hikers!

Post by oroblanco »

Hola amigos,
I would only add, and this is my opinion only - that I think the main reason why there seems to be so many more people getting lost, injured or killed in the Superstitions is just that there are so many visitors to this area. As for the danger from other people, I have long made it a "rule" to avoid most people you see in any wilderness area for several reasons; this has resulted in many an extra-long hike just to stay away from them and probably missed meeting some really nice folks but avoiding people also avoids troubles with them. I would bet there are far more murders in Phoenix than in the Superstitions every year.
Roy
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

Thanks! I hope to be able to take you up that offer soon!

-Rock
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Rocky,

This is going to be a beautiful Spring in the Superstitions. We have had lots of rain this winter. There is running and standing water everywhere out there. The normally Sun baked desert, is already covered with green grass, and when the desert plants start blooming, the scenery will be breathtaking!

It should be in full bloom by mid to late April.

Jim
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Rocky & Jim,

My son used to live in Aurora, Co., (when he was stationed at Redstone), and we visited him and my daughter-in-law there.

My son also has that "what's over that hill" itus, like his me and Roy, so, of course, we went out in the mountains.

The biggest difference I saw (beside the temperature in the supers in the summer), is that there were several areas of water, as opposed to the Supers. (year around water, is the type I'm referring to).

As long as you have water and your walking legs, I think you would do fine in the Supes. (and take note of how often you pee). :oops:

Beth (Mrs. O)
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

McElmo can be very dry in the summer of some years. I freeze small bottles of water and take them with me in a heavy canvas bag. That way, I have relatively cool water for quite a while out there. There's now a microfilter bottle that can be used to make almost any water safe and potable, but they are quite expensive.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Those frozen water bottles are also good for automatic rationing of how fast you use up your water supply. They only allow you access to what has melted since you took your last swallow! :lol:
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

Forgot to mention that, but, yes, that's another advantage.

-Rock
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Out here in California I read about lost hikers dying every year. Most die from hyper or hypothermia,and some from falls trying to negotiate a canyon that turns into a chute.

A little common sense goes a long way. Rule #1 is file a flight plan. Let a family member know where you are going and when you expect to return. Otherwise, if something happens, you are on your own and must be prepared for self rescue
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I also carry two liters of frozen water as well as four liters in the camo packs. Anytime i go into the wilderness. Its heavy but my body is expecting that weight. I also carry a chemical suit that is size 4. I have used it to survive a bee attack and as a tent to weather out storms. I tryed to sleep in it, but got really hot durring the night. And eight high fuel bars for survival food + blood clot spray q tips for blood clotting and to stop bleeding. I will crawl out with broken bones. I also carry a ground to air radio to contact passing airplane or searching helicopters. I think that water and comunication is the most inportant safety tools.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

For many years I relied on nothing but filing a detailed "Flight Plan" as Sandman suggested, and trying to stick as close to it as possible. Now I carry a "Spot" Messaging Device that works off Satellites just like a GPS, and sends your exact Lat/Lon to Rescue Services when you hit the SOS button.

It frees you up to go anywhere you want, without the worry of sticking to a predetermined flight plan. I highly recommend it for Beginners and experienced hikers!

Jim