Hiker's Hell

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Hiker's Hell

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

To Everyone,

I tend to take safety out there very seriously, especially for people like us.

The people who take guided tours - don't usually get hurt.
The people who get together and take "day-trail" hikes, don't usually end up on the lost list.
The people who take "driving" vacations, they don't usually get lost or hurt on the trails.

It's people like us that become the statistics. Its the people who have hiked hill and dale for many years, who get a little sloppy once in awhile. It's the cross-country skiers, who do it all the time - they have the accidents. It's the "experts" who get injured and sometimes die.

Why? We "know" the trail we are hiking. We know the washes. We know the mountains. We know the caves to watch out for. We know what to pack. We know how far we can hike in a day. We know the places to camp. We know where the "drop-offs" are. We know what the weather is capable of. We know what kind of animals there are. We know enough to carry a weapon. We are well-prepared for the trips.

And, because we are all prepared, we sometimes, for just a moment, let down our guard, because we are in a familiar place.
And, that moment can be hurtful - or it can be deadly.

There is a site called Hiker's Hell. I will put up the link. It's just a reminder of what a lapse in judgement can do - even to an experienced hiker, biker, skier, prospector or treasure hunter. Just to give a little reminder of what mother nature can do to us "outdoorsmen". Its also a great site for those who don't have a lot of experience. Its a site that just wants you to learn from others mistakes.

http://www.hikerhell.com/page/1/

Beth (Mrs. O)
javaone

Re: Hiker's Hell

Post by javaone »

Duly noted.
Thanks Mrs. O, A very sobering site.

On my last hike after getting thru a very rough a long part of the trail I came to a fairly flat and smooth part of the trail. Hiking along taking a sip of water and catching my breath I suddenly found myself skidding along the trail on my face with my backpack adding insult to injury. The path was only about 1 ½ ft wide with a steep slope on one side. I was very lucky. Only skint my nose a little, but it could have been a lot worse.
That one moment I let my guard down and got bit. You can bet I paid more attention even on the easy parts.

Jerry
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Javaone,

I've been guilty with those little "lapses" too. Hiking down a familiar trail, almost to the bottom, turned around to say "Hey, we are at the bottom" to someone - found one of those famous Arizona "rolling" rocks - totally round, and didn't care that my hiking boots had big treads on them, I "rolled" on the rock - luckily, for me, we WERE at the bottom, and I landed on my butt. But, for a second or two, I felt like an upside down turtle (rolled on my backpack.) If it had happened 5 minutes earlier, it might not have been so benign (there is a 30 foot drop off further up).

I watched someone trip and fall while they were hiking and trying to take a drink of water at the same time. Just that split second thing.

Beth (Mrs.O)
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Tilting of the head can cause a form of vertigo and upset your balance. Use caution when standing and tilting the head back to drink. Consider using a CamelBak hydration system or something similar that doesn't require you to tilt your head back.

TradClimber
javaone

Post by javaone »

Hello Mrs O,

I was thinking ( I know, smoke is rising :roll: ) that this thread would be great for giving good (safe) tips for hiking and for members to tell, share their tales of mishaps that may help others to think about NOT duplicating their mistakes.

Just a thought… :)

Jerry
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Javaone,

I knew I smelled smoke ;)

Seriously, that is kind of what I was hoping this would turn into.

I'd take bets (or maybe not), that a lot of people would not know that you can create a self-imposed vertigo by tilting your head back while hiking. Personally, I advocate stopping when you want to take a drink, but, I hadn't thought of that as a reason - merely that when you are concentrating on your canteen, you cannot watch where you are walking. But, I looked into that possible vertigo thing, and it was right on.

While I worry about newcomers, I am also concerned by us "old-comers". The folks who have done it for years, but, may be sedentary for several months before they go out (and don't "buff up"), etc.

I hope to see many good suggestions here - as well as things that have happened, by bringing up bad events that could have been prevented by some pre-thought and planning.

We have all thought about it, especially if someone gets lost or hurt, or if we ourselves have a "close call" .

Beth (Mrs.O)
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Beth posted:
I'd take bets (or maybe not), that a lot of people would not know that you can create a self-imposed vertigo by tilting your head back...
I wouldn't bet any rock climber or helicoper pilot...they soon learn this fact.

TradClimber
javaone

Post by javaone »

Speaking of close call! :o

This guy was maybe 2 1/2 ft off the trail at the most when we past by. Had the rattler sounding and was in ready position...
Once we composed/cleaned ourselves we got this photo as he was moving away. :roll: :oops:

Be careful out there. :!:

Jerry
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Nice photo!! I love animals and snakes. But I dont like rattle snakes.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Nice photo - good thing it was an encounter that allowed you to take the photo!

Of course, usually, the first time I know that the snakes are definitely awake is to find one. (we are always careful, especially when that winter weather starts to warm up quickly)

I'm sure rock climbers and pilots do learn that lesson quickly, but I was referring to the folks like us - heck, helicopters make me dizzy, watching them. :oops:

Take it easy out there, guys!

Beth (Mrs. O)