Hiker's Hell

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Hiker's Hell

Post by cubfan64 »

Yikes - that could have turned out lots nastier than it did!!

But the obvious question nobody has asked yet is.....

Did you find anything down there?? :)
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

A gold tooth, but that ended up being one of mine LOL
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Hey Kurt
glad your up walk'n & talk'n
take care
ed
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Thanks Ed!! Im glad that it hasn't prevented me from my life style. My heart is restless but I think i had better take it easy the rest of this week.
silent hunter

Re: Jesse Capen

Post by silent hunter »

I will and always do hike every weekend in the summer. I am so sorry to here that the heat effects you all so much. My body feels at home in the desert, It is a way of life for me and I embrace its dangers. I spend a week out there every year. Our Army boys and girls are out there in 130 temperatures with no place to find shade.

I will be spending 5 days in the area Jesse was last seen. I will always have one eye looking for signs of him.

Kurt P
Last edited by silent hunter on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Re: Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountain

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

SilentHunter,

It is not just "our boys" who survive the 103 degree temps.

I know that Cynthia and family appreciate your efforts. However, please don't be one of the "experienced" folks that I have been posting about. Good Luck.

Beth (Mrs.O)
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Beth thanks much. If the desert wants me it knows were to find me. I know how to survive in these conditions. Its not how you survive out there its how you live out there. Do as the animals do and you can never go wrong..I have spent over thirty years of my life in this desert. I have lived in it, in a van in july thru September. Look at those who die here, there not from here!! Piper never died from heat and mr Jones never die, Did brownie Holmes die.People from far off always tell us from arizona not to go out in the sun. I wish my boss felt the same. How about those people who work on the road crew putting down asphalt. OK then I wont tell you your going to die from snow in the Dakotas. But thanks for your concern. I never knew what I couldnt do untill I came to this site. Now everything I do is dangerous and I am prolly going to die. I leave all the dreamers to their dreams.

Kurt Painter(Silent Hunter)
Superstition Mountains
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Kurt,

I agree with you. I worked with boot trucks spreading emulsion for AC paving for several years when I worked in construction. I worked on Highway 95 between Stone Cabin and Quartzsite during June and July in 1965. The daily temperature average 119 Degrees F. I will admit we were prepared for that kind of heat and we were constantly hydrated. Yes, we who worked in this stuff know how to survive, but the inexperience do not understand the importance of hydration during extreme heat and exertion. They also don't realize how hot the ground or boulders are. Once your down from dehydration and exertion your time on this planet is just about over. Several years ago I did a ground temperature study for laying emulsified asphalt and asphaltic concrete. Temperatures can get close to 200 degrees F on the ground near the hottest time of day. Of course all of us who are experienced with the desert condition understand all of this. Yes, if you understand this desert heat, respect it and prepare for it you can survived under the worst of conditions as long as you have a sufficient supply of water to hydrate yourself with. Please excuse any spelling errors. I hope I have learn something after living in this desert for seventy years and surviving it.

Tom K.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Tom, please don't encourage him. He may not get himself hurt, but he is apt to get someone else hurt.
Kurt,
I have lived in the mojave desert - so, I understand about "acclimation". I appreciate your efforts, and if the desert wants you - you will only have yourself to blame (not the desert). People like you are the very reason why I started the other posts ---- you will just have to note that ALMOST ALL of the lost and dead were experienced.

In the future, all posts on my board that advocates recklessness will be deleted.

Beth (Mrs.O)
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

While I'm not nor have I ever been a resident of the desert, I can tell you the thing that "got to me" the most in 4 hiking/exploring trips I've taken out there. It was the lack of shade! When I exercise regularily (which I don't do enough of), my appetite gets supressed for some reason - I don't know if that's normal or not, but I know I can go for a week in the Superstitions now with only trail mix, nuts and some dried fruit, and I don't drink as much water as alot of people I've hiked with, but when I get hot, the lack of just about any shade in some areas almost makes me manic at times!

I have no idea if some folks' bodies are just able to retain water more easily than others, so in that case perhaps Silenthunter (Kurt) is able to go with much less water than most, but the scary thing with dehydration and heat stroke is that often by the time you start to really feel the affects of it, it's too late to really do alot about it.

Anyways - those are just my quick thoughts. As an aside, I've been doing some reading and research on chia seeds and the affect they may have on helping one retain water. It's very interesting and so far seems to have some positive potential.