Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

SuperstitionGuy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

I carry the Extractor pump with me at all times while hiking and backpacking and have used it often for bee stings. It is effective if you can pump within two minutes or less. I also use it for cleaning puncture wounds which of course are quite common in off trail Arizona travel.
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

Today the mantra is "Time is tissue". Delaying treatment in the ER results in more tissue damage. Cut and suck is not recommended.

http://pdfs.journals.lww.com/smajournal ... rg0WKP0w==

I used to have a friend who had worked in the National Venom Research Lab. He said the original study that supported cut and suck was
poorly done by the guy who invented the snakebite suction kit. The dogs used were take from a local pound and several died during
the study without having any injections at all. The ones that survived snake venom had the venom injected and then withdrawn by the
same needle without removing it. That's not very realistic unless we can convince Mr. Crotalus to do the same.
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

Here's a study that found the "Extractor" had no effect in simulated snakebites on pigs.
Study of vacuum effects on simulted snakebites
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Yeah Cecil said that he tryed nothing other than keeping himself together, coming up with a plan and sticking to it. That's what he claimed saved his life.