Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Post by silent hunter »

Cecil Tidwell of buckeye, AZ was reported lost 1 pm 04-11 2010. He was found at Ten pm by some young kids driving home around ten last night. He had been bit by a rattle snake and walked five hours until he found a roadway. He reported that he tried to flag down passing cars, he said no one would stop for him but some young people. He is doing well at Good Sam hospital phoenix.
Kurt P.

Link to Newspaper Article: (Video)
http://www.azfamily.com/video/featured- ... 95874.html
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Link to Online story.
Jim Hatt

Re: Hiker's Hell

Post by Jim Hatt »

That was sure fast Kurt! Glad it turned out with him making out and getting medical attention as fast as he did. How did you hear about it so fast?

Jim
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

He is my brother in law. He went kayaking on the Gila river and took the wrong fork .He landed his kayak on a small gravel bar, and started walking to the freeway. He saw the first snake and jumped it but there were alot of rattlers stranded on that gravel bar and one nailed him in the ancle. He then did what we all would do!!! or should do. Got himself togather developed a plan and got out five hours later. There he said over 100 cars passed him by untill some young kids stopped and called 911. He did well on anti venom and might be home by tuesday. Mrs O is so right about being carefull he is a life time hiker,this trip he only took two small bottles of water and no food. Kurt P.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Here is the wound area. Kurt P.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by silent hunter on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gollum

Post by gollum »

Damn Kurt,

Sorry to hear about your brother. Glad he is going to be alright. In all my climbing and hiking, I have never come across that many rattlers above ground. A couple of underground dens that I avoided once I realized what was inside, but I would dearly hate to find myself in the middle of all that.

Best-Mike
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Hi Kurt:
Nope,don't wanna go down there.Came across two together on a rock this afternoon.Thats four so far this week,all diamondbacks.More will be out and about in the coming days I expect.Glad that your brother in law is ok.A couple of days ago I was in a narrow canyon,when I heard the unmistakable and very loud sound of a bee swarm.I scrambled downhill to a spot free of brush in the creekbed and watched the swarm hover around a couple of mesquite where I had been only minutes before.Intimidating sight,so many bees in one place.I hunkered down for about five minutes,until they resumed their flight down the canyon.Whew.
BTW...Thanks again for the show and tell.I really enjoyed it.
Regards:SH.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I carry a bee suit with me just in case.....Kurt P
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

I had a hood in my pack,but I decided that it would be better to remain very still unless they headed directly for me.The breeze was also in my favour.
SH.
East Wind

Re: Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Post by East Wind »

Hi guys,

I was watching TV program survival man, he said if you put a string around your sleeping bag while camping out, the snakes wont cross it. Do you think its true...Dee
SuperstitionGuy

Re: Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

East Wind wrote:Hi guys,

I was watching TV program survival man, he said if you put a string around your sleeping bag while camping out, the snakes wont cross it. Do you think its true...Dee
I don't know if a small rope circling your bedroll will accomplish that but I do know that if you put a small rope under your buddy's bedroll and slowly begin to pull it out after he beds down that he will jump out of that sleeping bag real quick! :lol: :lol: :lol: