Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Post by TradClimber »

Thanks Tom. I also enjoyed your comments.
We're a couple of old farts aren't we?

TradClimber
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Trad:

You can certainly say that again, again and again. If you remember Dr. Findley, you have to be quite old.

Tom K.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Nowadays the antivenin of choice is "CroFab", which is derived from sheep serum. It appears to be a lot easier on a person with regard to allergic reaction...Even old farts can take it.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

THAT'S the name I was trying to remember - CroFab. It IS the latest and greatest (though it has been around for awhile).
People have much less reaction to cro-fab that to the older anti-venoms. There is - should say "was" an almost 30% reaction (allergic) to the older anti-venoms, and it has dropped to about 1% with the Cro-Fab.

I, too, carry around an epipen wherever I go - I'm allergic to certain beestings (not all bees will cause a reaction), but, its nice to have that thing around when your throat is closing up. It's also useful when you come across someone that is in anaphylactic shock - I have had occasion to use mine on others. (its actually why I carry two at all times - back in 1993, there was a biker who got stung in Wyoming, and he was dying, while his girlfriend was a basket case. Dumb guy had been hospitalized 4 times for beestings, and still didn't carry around a kit. (wearing a t-shirt, riding a Harley, on his way to the Sturgis Bike Rally - he was more than 100 miles from the nearest hospital, and an hour from an ambulance) - anyway, lucky for him, I had my kit, and he survived. When the ambulance got there, he refused to go to the hospital, so I made him sign a waiver - to cover my butt. Then I didn't have one for myself. That's when I decided to have 4 - one at home, one in the car, and 2 with me. (the 2 that pack with me).

We also carry antibiotics with us on every trip, along with cortisone (topical) and the regualr stuff, like bandaids, aspirin, etc. It's light, and, unfortunately, we've had occasion to use some of it (that jumping cactus will give you one heck of an infection - and it doesn't seem to take too long, either). :oops:

Beth (Mrs.O)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

How much does an epi pen cost and are they standard products at the drug store? Behind the counter or on the shelf?
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

TERRY: CroFab has been a miracle anti-venom for people allergic to horse serum. I don't think Dr. Sulllivan's development work was financially feasible at the University of Arizona. He was working on a synthetic anti-venom serum, but I believe it was cost prohibitive for practical application in the medical field. There was some anti-venom research going on in South Africa when I basically retired the Snake Alert program in 1997. Anti-venom has been quite expensive in the past. I don't know what the cost of CroFab is per unit today. Do you have any idea what it would cost per unit? Also I have never seen any research on the use of CroFab and how effective it is in snake bit treatment. However I haven't looked for it either.

Tom K.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Terry:

A couple of comments about CroFab.....Have you done any real research involving CroFab? I talked to a friend who is an emergency room MD. I ask him about the cost of CroFab per unit. He said between $900 and $2,500, however he said it depended on the hospital. Some hospital in the Southeast charge up to $5,000 per unit and insurance companies will not pay for it. Do you have any information or research on the cost of CroFab? I have been out of the circle for about twelve years so I am quite out dated.

Thanks for the interesting information from you and Beth.

Tom K.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I am getting confused...
Does an epi-pen contain CroFab?

Jim
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Epi-pen is for people who have an allergy to bee stings. CroFab is an anti-venom for primarily rattlesnake bites.

Tom K.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Cro-Fab averages $1000/unit (so I've heard)...But it takes more units than the old Wyeth antivenin. However it is safer to use and does a good job of stopping the damage. I have also read that it isn't or wasn't all that effective on Southern Pacific Rattlesnake venom, and they either are or already have modified it to rectify that situation. Now and then I read references to some good snakebite medicine originating in Mexico. (No, Tradclimber, I'm not talking about mescal.)
I'm no expert in the snakebite medical field, but I try to keep a little more informed on the subject than the average yokel.