Successful Search & Rescue Missions with happy endings

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

sardude
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Successful Search & Rescue Missions with happy endings

Post by sardude »

Alright then, when I saw the red eyes in Devils canyon, I immediatly thought Orc. Kinda wishing I had Glamdring on my side as a weapon. They say it is a small world. I guess middle earth is even smaller. :) Trad, dude, I always wanted a rappel rope made out of hithlain. I guess some people just have the right connections.
later, dude
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

A Winter Rescue on the North Face of Mt. San Jacinto

The North Face of Mt. San Jacinto is a challenging mountaineering route that gains over 9000' from the desert floor . It's escarpment is one of the highest in the contiguous United States. Climbers have been seriously injured or died while attempting this challenging route. In the winter of 1971 I solo climb the North Face over a period of two days on my first ascent.

In the twenty years I was with the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit I participated in many SAR missions on the North Face. The following link is one.

Bernie McIlvoy

http://www.rmru.org/missions/1980s/1985-002.htm
sardude

Post by sardude »

Thank you Bernie, very GREAT rescue. I know you understand what we do and why we do it. Not sure if you can describe the look upon the subjects face. Wonderment, relief, desperation, pain. Whenever they see their mortality, the realization that they could die must be a real eye opener. The ones that drive me crazy are when they should see their mortality but don't. Sometimes they blame US on their predicament. Where have you been? How come it took so long? It goes unsaid but through my mind. Gee, what were you thinking? I have a family that I left in the middle of the night, during a b-day party, on Christmas eve, to come out in the snow/rain, or most likely 110 degree heat to HELP you. The saving grace is that look. Whatever is going on in their mind, they can't hie that look. We do what we do because of the feeling we get on a job well done. And dammit, it is fun. Very hard work, but fun. I pray that all of my SAR brothers and sisters get recompense in the afterlife. I don't know if it can help, but I am sure it can't hurt.

Disclaimer, this is the opinion of the dude. It is not the opinion of anyone other than a guy who thinks it is a good idea to hike in the mountains when he thinks that anyone else shouldn't.
" in an insane world, only the insane appear sane". Dr. Spock ie. Star Trek
adios amigo, Dude
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Dude posted:
I know you understand what we do and why we do it
Dude, we are brothers of the orange and yellow shirts!

Dude posted:
And dammit, it is fun. Very hard work, but fun
The following link was a fun mission. Certain details of the mission could not be printed and is best left to the reader's imagination. The last sentence of the article pretty much sums it up.

http://www.rmru.org/missions/1980s/1987-024.htm

TradClimber

Disclaimer: I did not inhale. :)

PS: Dude posted:
Disclaimer, this is the opinion of the dude. It is not the opinion of anyone other than a guy who thinks it is a good idea to hike in the mountains when he thinks that anyone else shouldn't.
We think alike!
sardude

Post by sardude »

Hello all, with all of the training and fun stuff, I am a little late on last months rescues. Like always, a few rescues here and there then everybody gets lost. Oh well, it gives us something to do. With the coming of the heat, the quantity of missions should decrease. However, due to the temps each mission could be a life and death situation for the subjects and the team. We do alot of acclimitization hikes this time of year to get ready for this. Out of the packs go the winter gear and it is replaced with summer gear and lots of hydration options.

May 14. Callout 2200 subject doing Ridgeline hike in 85+ degree weather. Never a good choice. Subject is reporting that they are out of water near West Boulder Saddle. Teams in field and headed up Carney Springs when Ranger helo spots the subject many miles away near the top of Hog Canyon. Team called back and headed toward Hog. Team makes way up Hog Canyon, never a fun hike even when you can see. Find subject, check him out, hydrate and walk him back to the base camp. Teams out of field 0430 May 15.

May 16. Callout 2100. Overdue hikers at Peralta TH. Subjects were hiking the Bluff Spring Loop clockwise and missed the first switchback south of Miners Saddle. This puts them off trail in some bad country. Teams headed both directions on Bluff and Dutchman. They spotted the hikers off trail to the north of Dutchman near Criswell Canyon. Hydrated and walked them out. Team out of field around 0230 may 17.

May 17. Callout around 2100, hiker out of water on Peralta Trail and without light. Team dispatched and headed up Peralta trail. Ran into subject near the sidewalk, hydrated and walked back to TH. Teams out of field around 0130 May 18.

May 22. Callout around 2030, hiker injured on Siphon Draw trail near Flatiron. Teams dispatched and headed up trail when Ranger helo spotted the subjects on south side of Flatiron. Ranger landed and transported them to TH. teams out of field around 2300.

May 27??? Not sure of the date. Callout 1230 Aravaipa Canyon injured hiker. Team on standby. Canyon ranger says patient is only about 1/2 mile in. Deputy fellow hikers and staff will bring out. Team out of field around 1600.

Underlying causes just about the same as always. Ill prepared for the weather, not familiar with the terrain, and the ever present, lower leg injuries.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

One story from the weekend.All ended well,according to the comment from one of the wives.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_so ... anyon-lake

Regards:Somehiker
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

Thanks to you both for your posts. Not that I like SAR incidents per se, but I do like to (hopefully) learn from them.

HJ
sardude

Post by sardude »

With the summer temps upon us, Pinal County SAR has been reasonably quiet. We have had some days with the heat index approaching 120 degrees.
Sunday June 26, callout 2030. 28 year old male visiting from WA. Left Peralta at 1100 intending to do 104 to Bluff Springs Loop (counter clockwise) He had six, 16 oz bottles of water. Wife called him in as overdue around 2000.

8 of us showed up at TH as Ranger was doing it's first search. Hiker spotted North of Weavers Needle on Terrapin. Ranger flew him back to TH since he was out of water and cramping.

It sounds like as he approached the Terrapin junction off of Bluff Springs, he was walking in the wash and didn't see the sign since it was dark and the sign is up on the trail. He saw the trail down by the wash going up so thought he was still on Bluff Springs and didn't realize he was on Terrapin.

When Ranger got to him, he'd already been out of water for several hours. He has no clue how close to death he came. Temperatures were still in the 100's after dark.

Saturday July 10. Search started 1900 hrs in Maricopa vicinity. Searching for clues to a possible crime scene. No other info can be offered. Very large dust storm, then lightning and rain. Around 2330 we received a call about a lost hiker on Picketpost Mt., around 70 miles in the opposite direction. En route, teams were hit with a torrential monsoon storm.
53 yr. old male left TH at 0500 to hike to the top of Picketpost. He encountered issues that made a longer than expected hike. He ran out of water but the torrential rain helped as he captured water in his Nalgene bottles. He was semi prepared as he had a light, whistle, hiking poles, and good hiking boots. The teams ran into him about 30 minutes from the TH. He was cold, wet, and happy to be getting back to the TH. Teams out of field 0400.

July 23, callout 1620, temps approaching 110. Hiker 911 from Robber's Roost/West Boulder area. Out of water and in distress. MCSO helo extracted subject and delivered them to TH. Teams in route called back. Thank God, hiking up Carney in 110 degrees is not my cup of tea. Thanks to MCSO helo.

Mostly, people hiking in the summer in the Supes are prepared. The logic is somewhat scewed, but whom am I to talk logic. Time of day and lots of water and knowledge will lead to a "fun" hike and not having to put my SAR brother and sisters in harms way. If you have to think twice before you do it, Don't do it.
later, SARDUDE
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

sardude wrote:Time of day and lots of water and knowledge will lead to a "fun" hike and not having to put my SAR brother and sisters in harms way. If you have to think twice before you do it, Don't do it.
later, SARDUDE
Or head north to cooler climes. Mingus Mountain is a beautiful little area. The San Fransisco Peaks near Flagstaff are very beautiful.

Thanks for the updates,

HJ
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Great Post Dude!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best,

Jim