Declination Verification

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

hikin_jim
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Declination Verification

Post by hikin_jim »

cubfan64 wrote:For what it's worth, I like having a GPS, but I struggle to make sure I don't rely on it constantly while out hiking. If I do that, I find that I am more casual in watching my surroundings as well as looking at maps and using a compass, and I DON'T LIKE to find myself relying on any piece of technology.

For me at least, I liken it to what happened to mathematics when calculators came out. Eventually students stopped learning the "basics" of how and why math problems can be solved by hand and started relying on calculators (and now I suppose spreadsheets) to do all the work.

That's why so many kids today can't make change at the cash register if it doesn't tell them exactly how much to give out.

Off topic, but a similar rant against technology... I work in a chemical laboratory and we just hired a recent college graduate and found out later that he had spent a grand total of a semester or two (at most) ACTUALLY IN A LABORATORY setting! Almost all of his "lab" classes were done on a computer with software packages to simulate hands on lab work. He had only the vaguest idea of what different pieces of glassware were called, how they connect together and all the other basic information we expected a lab technician should have.

What a sad state of affairs!
Yipes! I hope that guy you hired isn't working on medicine for me. "But the computer said it would work..."

Yeah, not carrying a GPS is a good way to keep your common sense and map skills sharp, although, particularly in winter when it might snow, I do see the utility of a GPS. I kind of like maps though. :lol:

HJ
sardude

Post by sardude »

Alright, I try to stay out of things non SAR. We have had 6 callouts in the last 7 days. I will post more on the "happy endings" later.
Believe me, anything that works is appreciated by my teammates and especially my wife, that keeps people on trail. I was brought up with map and compass and fought the GPS just because. Luddite? do you drive to the TH or do you ride a horse? I now carry EVERYTHING in my pack, what used to be a 25 lb. pack weighs 40+now. It all has a use and a SAR idea is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I tell people to take maps, you can always use them to start a fire with, take GPS, you can always use it to kill a rabbit when you are hungry. It drives me crazy when people are not prepared, but it REALLY drives me crazy when they have the proper gear and didn't take time to learn how to use it. Hike with a map and compass, GPS, PLB, SPOT locater, Flashlight, water, food, hell, throw in a sat phone. Don't know how to use them and call 911 we will be there at your beckon. Births, birthdays, anniversary, holidays, I guess we are a sick bunch with nothing better to do. Hopefully we will be rewarded in the afterlife. I just fell off of my soapbox, sorry, I will call 911 and see whom answers.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Sardude,

Forget about calling 911 Dude! The last time I called it, it was answered by some Arabic sounding lady, and she wanted to know if I was feeling suicidal? :lol:
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

I'm with Trad Climber - a bit of the new as well as the old stand-by works well for me. If all else fails, knowing the stars still has the potential to save your hide.

The story about the Lab kid rings so true with me. What I see nowadays are young people who don't even want to learn proper GPS! Instead they show up for field work with their Android or iPhone and swear by their GPS app.

I'm such an old fart! I still refer to those particular young'uns as coyote poop! 'Cause that's how many of 'em will end up :roll:

D. Road
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

You sound like a man that knows which side of the moss the tree grows on. :)

TradClimber
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

TradClimber wrote:You sound like a man that knows which side of the moss the tree grows on. :)

TradClimber
:lol:

It's pretty wild. People will read in a book "you should take a map and a compass." So they take a map and a compass. I'll bump into them in the backcountry. They have a map and compass but have no idea how to use it (or a GPS). Sheesh, people. It's amazing more people don't die out in the backcountry.

HJ
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

Re: People having outdoors equipment and not knowing how to use it.

How's that joke go?

Q: "How do you identify bear poop?"

A: "It smells like pepper spray!"

Desertroad :mrgreen: (Green as in Happy St Patty's Day everyone!)
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

:lol:

HJ
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »