2 hurt during search for missing Lost Dutchman hiker

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

roc2rol
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

2 hurt during search for missing Lost Dutchman hiker

Post by roc2rol »

Two people have been hurt, one seriously, during the search for a hiker who has been missing in the Superstition Mountains since Monday, authorities said Wednesday.

About 10 p.m. Monday, crews from the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office responded to Lost Dutchman State Park after receiving a call of an overdue hiker, office spokeswoman Tamara Ingersoll said. The man, 34-year-old Christopher Hensley, was last seen Monday afternoon when he set out for a hike from a family member’s house in Apache Junction, Ingersoll said.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/pina ... -abrk.html
somehiker

Re: 2 hurt during search for missing Lost Dutchman hiker

Post by somehiker »

roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

thanks for the link
but I think its a dead end
or I don't have Facebook account
so can't follow up?

I keep hearing local news report
just snippets of confusing info
about lost hikers
and found remains in the Supers
active place

roc
Jim_b

Post by Jim_b »

Searchers have found a body of a hiker missing in the Superstition Mountains since Monday.

The body was found in a rugged area that prevented a helicopter from landing, so members of the Pinal County Search and Rescue team were hiking into the canyon area to retrieve the body, according to Tim Gaffney of the sheriff's office.

No cause of death had been determined.

Here is a link to story

http://kpho.membercenter.worldnow.com/s ... erstitions
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz. -- A search for two hikers lost in the Superstition Mountains ended successfully Friday night. Maricopa County Sheriff’s rescue teams managed to locate them just before nightfall.

The man and woman set out Wednesday morning and expected to return Thursday, according to MCSO. A day long search on Friday ended before 8 p.m.

“The biggest problem is people don’t have a plan,” said Mountain Rescue Operations Chief David Bremson. “They don’t stick to a plan, and they don’t tell anyone where they’re going.

http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-feeds/ ... 72971.html
Casca

Post by Casca »

Yes, not a working plan can be hazardous to your health. I usually do short hikes, identify animal trails, and always have land marks I can see from far away. If you shoot a az mouth and know your directions, you can follow your self on a map when the lcd goes to mush. I hike trails a mile or so at a time, making note of rest spots and such. My wife who does not leave the vehicle can show you exactly where I am if needed. Im considering a spot gps and even printing out topos from http://mapper.acme.com/ so in case I don't return before dark. I don't do over niters unless I take someone I trust with me. You can last all day with a lil water and some jerky. Got to keep the protein if you want to maintain your strength. Course I have to have my lucky walking stick too. Then my hat, gloves and favorite shirt with two front pockets......you can get the idea here. Practice, practice, practice before you go. Don't care how much experience you got, its been a long winter. I think this is a good post. I hate to see folks get hurt or worse.