Montezuma's Treasure

Moderator: Jim_b

WixMoran
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Montezuma's Treasure

Post by WixMoran »

Actually Aztec contact with their neighbors as far North as utah is fairly well documented. The Aztecs had an entire class of people who were nothing but merchants. Probably the best example of trade goods comes from the Blanding Museum in Blanding, Utah where they havea sash that was found near the four corners region that was made of squirrel fur and green, quetzal feathers. The feathers are clearly not from the region and suggest that the trade network, if not the trade routes themselves were fairly vast. I would further argue that known trails established by these traders would have been utilized by the Aztec people when they moved the treasure North following the first attack by Cortez. These trails would have followed drainages, springs, other sources of water and available food and given the traders relationships with the people they were trading with would have (hopefully) afforded safe passage for the porters moving the treasure. Keep in mind the climate and environment in the 1520s was significantly different throughout the US, but particularly in the Southwest where the climate was much wetter at that time and the deserts, that have been "growing" for centuries, would have been considerably smaller and more hospitable for plant growth in many of the regions that are strictly desert now. Just some food for thought...
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Here is a photo of something interesting that I spotted a couple of years ago.I have posted it before on a couple of other websites and it usually generates some interesting comments.It is situated about 400' above a trail through the Superstitions and the photo was taken from the top of a red earthen mound about 300' below.

Regards:SH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

SH,

It is really hard to see anything in a photo like that, if you do not explain what you think you see in it, and where it is located, when you post the photo. :?: :?: :?:

Jim
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Jim:
About three quarters across and at the bottom.Looks like and shares many features typical of the varied depictions by the Aztecs of "Quetzalcoatl" .Below the "feathered arms" there is a pile of round objects,also "painted" on the wall.This applies to a religious belief shared by both Maya and Aztec regarding their origins.At the lower left of the photo,on a boulder is a symbol almost identical to that found on the Aztec MC2 codex.It is an oval with many "legs".There may be other images as well,this one being the last of the series.

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Two more pics that could be of interest as well.
The first is of a pair of carvings above the entrance to a cave that I have found to be unusual,to say the least.The carving to the right seems to fit a notation on the Peralta 1846 map,translated by a co-worker from Cholula as meaning "silent or quiet coyote".
The carving to the left is reminiscent of Maya style glyphs.

The second photo is of the interior,to the left,of that cave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by somehiker on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

SH,

You are obviously much more knowledgeable about Aztec Art than I am. I have also experienced a lot of difficulty in seeing things carved in rocks, that other people see clearly, so my opinion on that subject is just about as worthless, as my knowledge of Aztec Art is. :lol:

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe someone else with a sharper eye for those kinds of things, will be able to pick out what I am missing.

Sometimes things like this, make me wonder how many thing I have missed, during my travels through the mountains.

Jim
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

second pic...SH

Moderator note: It was 1024 pixels wide SH. I reduced it to 640X480 and it fits on the page now. Jim
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Hola amigos,
My eyes are not so good up close so I am having trouble picking out the details. Is there a way they could be 'outlined' in a bright color, so that a blind-bat like me could pick them out easily? Thank you in advance,
Roy ~ Oroblanco
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Here ya-go Roy:
It's probably a good thing that most would neither see or recognize this sort of thing,especially after several hundred years of exposure.Thousands hike the Superstitions every year,hoping to find gold or a mine or signs of a buried shaft.Many will walk right by,without ever seeing a thing.
In 2002 a number of beautiful murals were found on the walls of a Mayan temple and tomb.These were discovered by accident,in an open trench,by an archaeologist with a flashlight.
http://www.culturekiosque.com/art/news/ ... emala.html
Note the depiction of the arms in the illustration,a common characteristic.

javaone

Post by javaone »

Thanks SH, I have done some interesting reading do to some of your posts.

This is one of the interesting things I have read.
"The Spanish missionaries early adopted the myth of Quetzalcoatl and thought that he was actually St. Thomas the Apostle, who had come to Mexico to help convert the Aztec Indians to Christianity and that the spirit of St. Thomas was in Cortes."

Jerry