Montezuma's Treasure

Moderator: Jim_b

GunnyF
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Montezuma's Treasure

Post by GunnyF »

I see this topic hasn't been posted on for awhile. I'm new to the site so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong spot.

I am also interested in finding the trail to Aztlan. My trail leads in a different direction I suppose. I was thinking of the Panamint Range in Ca back when Lake Manly was still present. Possibly Cibola cities, Grand Canyon city of the dead (Hopi), Death Valley city of the giants (Zuni), Superstitions (Aztecs/Apache). This is only a wild guess from an ameteur! Haha! Too many books and too little time to spend walking the trails.
Thoughts?
-GunnyF
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Stories said they packed it north, to or towards their place/places of origin.
Maybe not just to discourage the Spanish, but also as an offering to one or more of their gods.
Since their new enemy was driven by gold, perhaps they hoped for divine intervention.
Likely following well established trade routes where caravans of packers were commonly seen.
Find the area where the basics of their religion began, as this would be a reasonable place to begin the search.

Regards:SH.
GunnyF

Post by GunnyF »

The two antediluvian cities are 1) Panamints 2) City of the Dead. These are pre-flood cities that we know about. After the last age, the Anasazi were born into this world from the underground city(s). They came out somewhere near the four corners area ;City of the Dead is just West of Tuba City on Little Colorado). I have tied the City of the womb and Cibola together, maybe mistakenly. Perhaps I am incorrect.
Waiting for the opportunity to get into the entrance at Death Valley. The weather plays such a big part and high endurance technical climbing is required. I'm reading through the forum as fast as I can. Are there forum posts on the subject? My search has turned up nothing so far,
Thx.
GunnyF
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

There's plenty online about ancient underground cities in the SW.
"City of the Dead" as one of them, I have never heard of.
But if you are going climbing in the Panamint's, watch out for the guys with the long tubes.

GunnyF

Post by GunnyF »

Ouch that doesn't sound too happy. Long tubes? Like the lead slinging kind?
Perhaps the old city has been looted? I know the army has cleared out underground passages near Wingate Pass years ago but I have been hoping to gain entrance to the area north of there. Hoping it hasn't been cleaned out too bad.

We are heading out soon to take a look at Jacob Waltz mine soon out in the Superstitions. Hopefully that trip will be fun & fruitful. Just getting outside is always good.
Gunny
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

"’Yes. These strange people have weapons. One is a small tube which stuns one with a prickly feeling like a rain of cactus needles. One cannot move for hours, and during this time the mysterious ones vanish up the cliffs. The other weapon is deadly. It is a long, silvery tube. When this is pointed at you, death follows immediately.’

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_ ... ces03a.htm
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

I realize you guys have worked this for years, but have you read the Overland Monthly's two-part article on the Lost Treasure of Montezuma? Here's a link to part 1:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moajrnl/ahj ... view=image

Its wordy as was the style of the times, but still, its a hoot. Also, there's an article that appeared in the newspapers of the 1840's about the Black Mountain of Taos. Probably worthless for the level of research you have reached, but still, there it is, Montezuma's Treasure:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/ ... nge&page=1

The article is in the fifth column from the left, and starts about halfway down the column.

Space Cowboy
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Thanks SC. I'll read them as soon as I have some time.