The Cave of A Thousand Eyes

Moderator: Jim_b

tjoslin53
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

The Cave of A Thousand Eyes

Post by tjoslin53 »

It seems as if this site has lost its following over the past year. Half the folks seems to not be interested and the rest guard what they know as if they owned the locations themselves. It's sad that so many are unwilling to share their knowledge of the sport. I once asked back sometime ago about the Cave of a Thousand Eyes. Most had no idea of its location, where the rest again seem to think that it is there duty to guard its whereabouts. If there is anyone still out there interested in speaking of it and it location it would be a refreshing change. If they would prefer to speak in person or privately via E-mail that would fine too. Happy Hiking:)

Tjoslin53
somehiker

Re: The Cave of A Thousand Eyes

Post by somehiker »

So far as I know, Tom K. has been the only one to have written about it. It's possible that he is also the only person to have seen it in recent times. He claims to withhold the location for preservation reasons, but I can't see where a couple of photos of the inside would be a threat. I'd love to see the cave, and have no idea where it might be, but will respect his wish to keep it a secret.

Regards:SH.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Somehiker:

There so many people out here that would destroy the beauty of this cavern to profit. The first man to the cave in 1917 tried to profit from the cave material. Then a prospector named Modoc in 1934 chipped off several of the brilliant Calcite crystals and tried to convince friends in Phoenix they were diamonds. He was looking for a substantial grub stake. I know many people who sell Calcite crystals and other cave minerals in there gift shops and stores around Arizona. No, I would rather this cave remain unknown to the public. I am certain there are spelunkers who know its location, but for the same reason I will never tell anybody for fear it will be destroyed by those who want to profit from it in some manner. I was led to the cave by an old time cowboy who has since passed on. I assured him I would never share his secret. Very few people know the location of this cave in the wilderness. I hope I answered your questions and you hopefully understand my point of view. Profiteers and vandals have destroyed so much of Arizona history and natural things since 1948 I choose not to share the locations of many things I know about in the wilderness. If you want to find them, put your boots on ground and search, search and search.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Somehiker:

There so many people out here that would destroy the beauty of this cavern to profit. The first man to the cave in 1917 tried to profit from the cave material. Then a prospector named Modoc in 1934 chipped off several of the brilliant Calcite crystals and tried to convince friends in Phoenix they were diamonds. He was looking for a substantial grub stake. I know many people who sell Calcite crystals and other cave minerals in there gift shops and stores around Arizona. No, I would rather this cave remain unknown to the public. I am certain there are spelunkers who know its location, but for the same reason I will never tell anybody for fear it will be destroyed by those who want to profit from it in some manner. I was led to the cave by an old time cowboy who has since passed on. I assured him I would never share his secret. Very few people know the location of this cave in the wilderness. I hope I answered your questions and you hopefully understand my point of view. Profiteers and vandals have destroyed so much of Arizona history and natural things since 1948 I choose not to share the locations of many things I know about in the wilderness. If you want to find them, put your boots on ground and search, search and search.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

I might add, spelunking is a dangerous advocation if your not properly trained for it and don't have a good partner. The "Cave of a Thousand Eyes" need a highly trained Spelunker to enter with. The cowboy that showed me the way to the cave basically left me on my own and I am damn lucky to still here. The first time I entered the cave there was string laid from the entrance to about 600 feet back into the cave. Beyond that you were guessing all the time. Which fork went where? How deep was that cold water? How much water was there? What was the source of the water? Rain, spring, or seep? There was a skeletal remains of a large bear in the cave. Not being a forensic expert i could determine much from the skeleton except some large animals liked to use the cave. My wife and I visited the cave above eight to ten years ago. We walked in instead of riding our horses. It was brushy and a tough trip for both of us. It took us all day for a round trip from the trail head.

I may someday post a few photos. Most of my photos are very poor because of the lighting conditions.

Tom K.