Lost Arch Mine in the Turtle Mts, Ca

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Lost Arch Mine in the Turtle Mts, Ca

Post by Jim_b »

The Lost Arch placer diggings said to be located about 40 miles south of Goffs and 25 miles north of Rice, in or near the north end of the Turtle mountains, in eastern San Bernardino county, California, is another of the many mystery mines of the southwest.

The new-found diggings proved to be very rich and the Mexicans sluiced out $30,000 worth of gold before the dry season dried up the waterholes. There was a small spring a few miles away, later known as Coffin springs, but it did not furnish enough water to carry on sluicing operations. In view of the scarcity of water it was decided to store the equipment and return the following season and continue their operations. Reaching Los Angeles, the party split up, some going north to the Mother Lode country, and others returning to Mexico. No maps had been drawn of the placer field and later when separate members of the party sought to relocate the placer field they were unsuccessful.

Goldseeker posted this mine or area has been found, but you did not give any details, like who found it?
Goldseeker

Re: Lost Arch Mine in the Turtle Mts, Ca

Post by Goldseeker »

It was in the Orange County Register newspaper, back in the early 80's. It was a fairly long story as I remember. I dont remember the name, but he was from Ca, and had been searching for a long time, using clues, doing detective work, including usind a plane or helicopter, and it finally paid off. The only thing I can suggest, is see if that newspaper has archives that go to the early 80's. I would like to see it again myself. I thought I saved the article, but who knows?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Jim_b wrote:

Goldseeker posted this mine or area has been found, but you did not give any details, like who found it?

I wouldn't give up on that one just because of anything Goldseeker said Jim_b. His comments like that never have any details in them. I wouldn't spend to much time trying to track down his source either. Let him do the leg work (so to speak) to back up his own claims.

I am sure he is probably a very nice guy that we all would enjoy shooting a game of pool or downing a few cold ones with. But... he does seem to get a warped satisfaction out of raining on other parades when it comes to lost mine stories.

One of these days he will post one of his own stories and it will be "Payback" time.

Jim Hatt
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Jim Hatt wrote:
Jim_b wrote:

I wouldn't give up on that one just because of anything Goldseeker said Jim_b. His comments like that never have any details in them. I wouldn't spend to much time trying to track down his source either. Let him do the leg work (so to speak) to back up his own claims.

I am sure he is probably a very nice guy that we all would enjoy shooting a game of pool or downing a few cold ones with. But... he does seem to get a warped satisfaction out of raining on other parades when it comes to lost mine stories.

One of these days he will post one of his own stories and it will be "Payback" time.

Jim Hatt

I looked in the OC register archives and they dont go back far enough. I personally believe it was found, but with todays detectors, especially the minelab series, there is probably still some nice nuggets there, and you will be in mineralized areas. Go look.

The story went into quite a bit of detail as I recall, and I have no reason to doubt it as the name of the finder was given.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just telling you what I have heard. I also have said that I believe there is still a lot out there, and some mines have been found; others have not.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

This is just my opinion Goldseeker, but I find that it is always best to have your details right in front of you, so you can include them at the time you make a statement that contradicts what someone else has written in an open forum like this.

Inevitably, someone is going to come along, take exception to what you wrote, and challenge you on it. If you are not to prepared to come up with the missing details at that time. You will just be written off as a lot of hot air, and the time will come when no one will take you seriously. It creates an uncomfortable atmosphere around you, that you may never be able to get shed of.

I have a feeling that you have been around the block a few times, seen the Elephant and heard the Owl as the Ole' Timers put it. You probably have some interesting experiences under your belt that other people would enjoy hearing about. So let's hear about them.

I am going to do my best to keep the conversations in this forum on the High Road, where the atmosphere is comfortable and friendly for everyone.

I would appreciate your help.

Jim Hatt
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

I dont have proof for everything. Sorry. On the other hand, you are free to believe or not. But, I do not lie. Really, how do you expect proof for a lost mine story. What I told you about the lost arch was true, it was in the OC register way back in the eraly 80's. The finder was from OC, Tustin if memory serves me. Unfortunately, no archives before '87. I looked.

Pegleg was written up in Derset Magazine, and that can be found online. That should be proof enough.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Nobody called you a Liar Goldseeker.

You are 100% correct. There is no way to prove Lost Mine Stories.
The most we can hope for is a lot of good circumstantial evidence.
(Until they they have been found)

But there should always be lots of proof to back up "FOUND MINE STORIES".

Think about it.

Jim Hatt
Jim Hatt

Is the Lost Arch Mine really still lost?

Post by Jim Hatt »

The article in the link below may change your mind about the Lost Arch Mine being Lost.

http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/199910/feature/

When I told Goldseeker... "But there should always be lots of proof to back up "FOUND MINE STORIES". This is the kind of proof I was referring to.

Looks Good to me Roy!

Jim
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

<BLUSH> :oops: Dang it Jim I wasn't going to start crowing but yes Beth and I did find a very old mine which is rich in gold, and it has a natural arch right in sight of the mine. There are what looks like old foundations of a two-room stone cabin or shelter also in sight of the mine. That said, it does have gold but it isn't THAT rich so that a guy would get rich quick, and there is no evidence of any adobe building. So it may not be "the" Arch mine. Even so, you would not believe how many people have asked for the exact coordinates, so anyone reading this who may be thinking of asking, don't ask! ;)

There is gold in those hills, a careful searcher might just get lucky and find the mine!

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Roy
JoeyW

Post by JoeyW »

Roy,

That must have been an exciting day when you stumbled on to that mine. Were you following clues to the Lost Arch or did you just happen to find it while out roaming around and later figure out what it might be?

Either way Nice job!

Joey