New Fossils-Related Page--"A Visit To Fossil Valley, Great Basin Desert, Nevada"

Inyo
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

New Fossils-Related Page--"A Visit To Fossil Valley, Great Basin Desert, Nevada"

Post by Inyo »

Rather recently I uploaded my latest paleontology-related web page, entitled A Visit To Fossil Valley, Great Basin Desert, Nevada ( http://inyo2.coffeecup.com/fossilvalley ... alley.html ). Includes detailed text; images of fossils; and on-site photographs, as well.

It's cyber-visit to a world-famous desert district situated in Nevada's Great Basin geomorphic province that contains the most complete, diverse, terrestrial (land-laid) fossil record of Miocene life yet discovered in North America--and perhaps the world, as a matter of fact--a genuinely spectacular paleontological place that produces from the middle Miocene Esmeralda Formation an astounding association of well-preserved fossil material some 16.4 to 10.5 million years old, including: insects (preserved in exquisite detail along the bedding planes of very thinly stratified sedimentary rocks commonly called "paper shales"); plants (leaves, seeds, flowering structures, conifer needles and foliage, diatoms--a microscopic single-celled photosynthesizing aquatic plant that constructed silica "shells"/frustules--pollens, and petrified woods); stromatolitic, cyanobacterial blue-green algal developments; mollusks (gastropods and pelecypods); ostracods (a bilvalve crustacean); mammals; birds; fish; amphibians; turtles; and arachnids (spiders).
Shiningsun
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: New Fossils-Related Page--"A Visit To Fossil Valley, Great Basin Desert, Nevada"

Post by Shiningsun »

This sounds very intriguing. Another one for the to do list. I've also been reading that there is a mud mound near my favorite Nevada town, Beatty, that has quite a few fossils. Mainly leaves I think. I'm planning to check it out next time I'm down that way or when I finally retire TO there. I've been into fossils lately. I've got some nice samples from some rock stores selling on Etsy!