Who is Carlos de Rojas?

Moderator: gollum

deducer
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Who is Carlos de Rojas?

Post by deducer »

Fr. Carlos de Rojas was a Jesuit priest and later Father Rector. Very little is known about him other than the basic information from the NPS database:

Surname: Rojas Given Name: Carlos Sex: M
Place of Birth: Mexico Date of Birth: 11/04/1702 Order: Jesuit
Place of Death: Puerto de Santa María, Cádiz, España
Date of Death: 01/03/1773
Cause of Death:
Race or Tribe: Español Criollo
Residence: Arizpe
Title: Misionero (IHS); Shipped out of the Port of Guaymas on the Príncipe during the Jesuit Expulsion; Shipped out of Veracruz on the Princesa Ulrrica
Place of Service: Arizpe

I wanted to start this thread to invite input from anyone who may have further information on Fr. Carlos de Rojas or could make recommendations as to where to search for more information. Please feel free to add to this thread what you know about Fr. de Rojas.
oroblanco

Re: Who is Carlos de Rojas?

Post by oroblanco »

I don't really have any info on Rojas that you have not already found, but am tagging this thread so I can follow it as I am also interested.
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

I have added information below.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Once again, more information below.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:
oroblanco wrote:I don't really have any info on Rojas that you have not already found, but am tagging this thread so I can follow it as I am also interested.
[/quote]

Roy & deducer,

This question was first asked by Azmula a number of years ago on the LDM Forum. There was some discussion at that time.

As I'm sure you are aware, there are snippets of information available in a number of books concerning Father Rojas. Cynthia Radding has a little to say in "Wandering Peoples...." pages 183-184.

Paul Roca, probably says more about Father Rojas' history than any other author. In his book, "Paths of the Padres Through Sonora" he mentions the priest on pages 156, 363, 383 and 392.

There is also a great deal of information in "Mission of Sorrows" by John L. Kessell. From page 135-137, Kessell writes of Father Roxas' (Rojas) travels through the Pimeria starting on May 20, 1754. The priest was accompanied by fifty soldiers.

Interesting that deducer asks the same question as Azmula, as there is little information available on Father Rojas. It would be interesting to know why deducer is making this inquiry. Deducer, is it possible you can flesh it out a bit? I understand if you are saving it for a publication.

If you don't have access to those books, I would be happy to supply the quotes.

Good luck,

Joe
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:
Joe Ribaudo wrote:
oroblanco wrote:I don't really have any info on Rojas that you have not already found, but am tagging this thread so I can follow it as I am also interested.
Roy & deducer,

This question was first asked by Azmula a number of years ago on the LDM Forum. There was some discussion at that time.

As I'm sure you are aware, there are snippets of information available in a number of books concerning Father Rojas. Cynthia Radding has a little to say in "Wandering Peoples...." pages 183-184.

Paul Roca, probably says more about Father Rojas' history than any other author. In his book, "Paths of the Padres Through Sonora" he mentions the priest on pages 156, 363, 383 and 392.

There is also a great deal of information in "Mission of Sorrows" by John L. Kessell. From page 135-137, Kessell writes of Father Roxas' (Rojas) travels through the Pimeria starting on May 20, 1754. The priest was accompanied by fifty soldiers.

Interesting that deducer asks the same question as Azmula, as there is little information available on Father Rojas. It would be interesting to know why deducer is making this inquiry. Deducer, is it possible you can flesh it out a bit? I understand if you are saving it for a publication.

If you don't have access to those books, I would be happy to supply the quotes.

Good luck,

Joe[/quote]

Great - thank you in advance and please ONLY at your own convenience, there is NO rush on my account at all. It might be interesting to see these tidbits collected.

Roy
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roy,

Hope all is well with you folks.

I have not forgotten about Rojas (Roxas), just having a hard time getting the wherewithal to dive into the many books that mention him. Many are just short statements of when and where he turned up. Was there something specific you would be interested in?

Take care,

Joe