Superstition Mountain History Discussion - OLD B/W PHOTOS

Moderator: somehiker

LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Superstition Mountain History Discussion - OLD B/W PHOTOS

Post by LDMGOLD »

This plane crashed in the Superstition Wilderness Area in Whiskey Springs Canyon. This old Waco-Ryan PT-6 went down in February of 1942. The instructor pilot and student pilot survived without injuries and walked out to the Quarter Circle U Ranch. The plane was based at Thunderbird Field (Falcon Field today). The aviators were Canadian pilots. I first visited the site in 1948 and then in 1960. The plane was packed out by a Tucson Aero Club and returned to flying status around 1967.

silent hunter

Re: OLD B/W PHOTOS

Post by silent hunter »

Yea now thats a photo!! I love to see the things of days gone.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

In this photo I am inspecting this old Ryan-Waco PT-6 in Whiskey Springs Canyon before it was removed in 1963. This plane was use by the Canadian Air Force during WWII as a trainer. It was underpowered with a Kinner radial six-cylinder engine. The deserts of the Southwest have become a graveyard for a lot of military trainers from the WWII era. I believe at least seventeen crashed in the Superstition Mountain area over the years. I have map that list most of the crashes between 1940-1990, a fifty year period of aviation in the Arizona deserts.

LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Silent Hunter:

As I have time, I pull some of my old B/W and scan them. Then I will place them on Desert USA for people to enjoy. These old deserts have hundreds of secrets they could tell if prompted.

Tom K.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Here is another photo of the PT-6 Ryan-Waco that crashed in Whiskey Springs in February of 1942. This is a side view of the tandem cockpit.

Last edited by LDMGOLD on Mon May 24, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Tom thanks for the black and white. You can see so much more from the black and white photos. Just look at the young man in them. LOL
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Kurt:

What kind of old B/W's are you interested in? I have a variety of subjects. I like old cabins, planes crash sites, old mines, caves, arches and variety of other things. I have photos of many of the old timers who lived in the area. After all I have been collecting photos for almost fifty years. Over the years I have shared a lot of them and every once in a while I see them pop up. I really don't worry about that because I have the original negatives. Let me know what you like and I will take a look at my photo archive of this desert land we live in and enjoy. My dad always said, "Yesterday's adventures are today's memories." I really believed in those words.

We just returned from Northern Arizona. The wife and I visited Government Cave. That is one enormous lava tube. The cave is 3/4's of a mile long. Sharon climbed down through the entrance which is rocky and somewhat difficult because of all the ice at the entrance. Oh, the cave was discovered in 1915, by some lumbermen who where working in the area. Here is that photo of Sharon entering Government Cave. There was a lot of ice on the floor and it was somewhat slick to say the least. After the first 100 yards or so the going gets much easier. The bottom is smooth and there is no ice. Didn't have my big camera so I couldn't take a interior photos. In some places the ceiling was about thirty feet high. Enjoy....

Tom K

reptilist

Post by reptilist »

ewww...I don't care for the look of those widow makers in the cave ceiling!

There was (is) an ice cave near the volcanic crater NE of Flagstaff...I remember going into it back when I was a teenager, but I don't have a clue where it is now. Is this the same one?
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Terry:

This is the Lava River Cave (Government Cave) is located 9 mi N of Flagstaff on SR 180. Turn west on FR 245 at MP 230. Continue three miles to FR 171 and turn south 1 mi to where 171 turns left a short distance from the Lava River Cave. GPS N35*32.1714, W111*50.8196 The cave is at three quarters of a mile long. Once you are past the first 100 yards or so it is quite easy going. The surface is flat and smooth. To make a round trip from the entrance to the end of the cave and back requires a good one hour. There are obstructions such as boulders and ice. Also you are in total darkness. We took two flash lights plus a head lamp. You can get information on line about this particular cave or from the national forest service. All this information is on the internet. I always try to provide a complete and honest answer. Don't miss it if you are in the area. I would suggest you don't do it alone. Only the first hundred yards or so is kind of rough.

There is another ice cave at Sunset Crater, but it is closed to the public. I believe this is the one you may be talking about. Actually the overhang in this particular cave looks far worst then it actually is. I am sure hundreds of cavers do this cave each year. There are several of these lava tube caves in badlands near Grants, New Nexico.

Tom K.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Cool! Literally....
Yes, the ice cave at Sunset Crater is where I went as a boy. Back then I was mindful of living off the land and the idea of having a natural refrigerator like that was very interesting.

Thanks for the info, I might take the family up that way next month.