Superstition Mountain History Discussion - OLD B/W PHOTOS

Moderator: somehiker

cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Superstition Mountain History Discussion - OLD B/W PHOTO

Post by cubfan64 »

silent hunter wrote:Tom K My mother works in utah at a storage place called the old salt mines. Its a records storage place were the LDS keep a record of history ect. She can look at other states storage as well. They have alot of stuff about arizona and the salt river. She is going to help me find photos drawings and maps of that area.

Kurt P
Kurt - what a great job your mom has and what a great resource for some interesting stuff I'm sure :) If you're able and willing to share anything, please do.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Paul, I am going to make a thread that includes photos from before and after. So everyone can see what I have already seen. If there ever was a mapped entrance into the superstiton mountains by the peraltas, it is not there anymore. My beautiful Mother sent me one drawing of the area of my maps and now I know why I haven't found the markings I was looking for. Thanks to the LDS for keeping track of what was there before.!! The thread should be amazing for people to see what is no longer there. Paul they have moved mountains!!

Kurt P
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

silent hunter wrote:Paul, I am going to make a thread that includes photos from before and after. So everyone can see what I have already seen. If there ever was a mapped entrance into the superstiton mountains by the peraltas, it is not there anymore. My beautiful Mother sent me one drawing of the area of my maps and now I know why I haven't found the markings I was looking for. Thanks to the LDS for keeping track of what was there before.!! The thread should be amazing for people to see what is no longer there. Paul they have moved mountains!!

Kurt P
WOW!! I'll be looking forward to it!
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

KURT;

I will also be looking forward to seeing such pre-1903 photos of the area. I do have some photos of the Goldfield area taken between 1893-1897. The Mormons were the main body of prospectors in the area between 1891-1900.

Sounds like some very photos and maps of the area prior to 1900.

Tom K.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

While we are on area maps. Here is an 1868 map of the Superstition Mountain area. Note Weaver's Needle is called Picacho. A few names were added to the map to distinguish some of the various locations. have fun with it.

Tom KImage
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Here is an old photo of Fish Creek Lodge and change station on the Apache Trail. Check out the road company off of Fish Creek Hill in the background. Photo was taken by Walter J. Lubkin, USRS around 1908.

cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Great photo Tom!

You know, as I see some of these old B&W photos, I can't help but think a GREAT project for someone to undertake would be to try to compile "before and after" photographs for a big ol' coffee table book!

It would take quite some time to put together, but with all the old B&W photographs of the Superstition area prior to 1920, I bet it would be pretty neat to try to copy some of them with present day shots of the same locations.

I'm not volunteering personally, just saying it would be a neat idea and I'd buy it :) Got any extra time on your hands Tom?? (just kidding!!) :)
treasurehntr

Post by treasurehntr »

Hi Tom,
That is an interesting map of 1868. Thanks for posting. I'm I seeing that there is indeed a military trail leading into the Superstition Mountains ? This would be around the Jacob Waltz time period.
Regards, Treasurehntr ........
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Tom,

Your photo gallery must be......magnificant. I love photography - old, older and all types. Great photos.

Someday, I'd like to see your photo collection (sounds like a come-on - its not :? )

I have collected (and taken) thousands of photos over the years, but I think yours leaves mine in the dust!

Thanks, again, for the pics.

Beth (Mrs.O)
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Beth:

I love all photos. Photos are a private individual's way of preserving history including family photos and all. Even home photos of vacations become important historical photos fifty to sixty years later. I have a collection of photos taken by a family that lived at Tortilla Flat in the 1930's. It is always fun to share photos. Some professional photographers don't like to share for free. I suppose that is what separates pros from amateur. I have always considered myself as an amateur although I have sold a few photographs in my life time. I have collected other peoples work for more than fifty years and I try to always give proper photo credit. If photos are my I usually don't give any credit. I glad you enjoy them. I photographed an historical event last Sunday night. My grandson received his Eagle Scout Award at a very special Court of Honor. As you probably know that is the highest scouting honor available to young men. Thanks for enjoying the photographs...

Tom K.