Superstition Mountain History Discussion - OLD B/W PHOTOS

Moderator: somehiker

LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Superstition Mountain History Discussion - OLD B/W PHOTO

Post by LDMGOLD »

Thanks Mike for the support. I understand exactly what you are talking about. One can not stress safety and caution when going into the desert during the summer months, or any other time of the year. One life saved is one life earned, so my dad always said. I taught desert survival for about ten years in the seventies and early eighties. Most of my information came from Stead AFB Survival School for air force pilots in Nevada. I have always been a big believer in "evade and survive."

Take care,

Tom K.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Kurt and others:

Sometime around 1915 Southern Pacific printed several photo albums for display in their terminals. Today, only about seven of these original albums have survive and only a couple are in mint condition. I am most fortunate to possess one of the mint copies. These photos all must be credited to the Southern Pacific Railroad. The SPRR received a commission from the State of Arizona in 1915 to include a road trip from Globe to Phoenix by way of the Apache Trail (SR 88) in a concession. The story goes one of the sales agents actually coined the term Apache Trail in 1915. Prior to this time the road was known as the Mesa-Roosevelt Haul Road. This photo was taken looking over Mormon Flat. This photo was hand tinted in Switzerland I was told. This is not color photograph. Today Mormon Flat is covered by Canyon Lake which is impounded by Mormon Flat Dam. Any of you that are familiar with area will probably recognize and enjoy this step back in time.

Please excuse any mistakes in my dialogue.

Enjoy Tom K.

silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Wow that is amazing!!
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Kurt and those interested,

The old photo of the Canyon Lake site (Mormon Flat), the confluence of Tortilla Creek and the Salt River. This is a B/W photo that was colorized. I have fifty of them taken around the Superstition Mountain area around 1915. If you look at the photo closely you can tell the sky is still B/W.

I thought you might find this information interesting also. I have over a hundred of Walter J. Lubkin's photographs take around 1908 along the Apache Trail, Skull Cave, and Roosevelt, and Weaver's Needle. They are protected and preserved by the Sharlott Hall Museum. We donated an original set of the photographs to the museum that came from the King-Pritchard Collection. These Southern Pacific photos have nothing to do with the Lubkin photographs taken during the USRS period at Roosevelt Dam 1903-1911.

Tom K.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Tom> MY dream photo would be of the canyon on the morman flatt dam side of tortilla flatts resturant ,especially the very far side of the canyon wall closest to the paved road. Would you have a photo of that area before they removed earth to build the road.

Thank Tom
Kurt Painter
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Kurt:

All the photos I have were taken between 1903 - Today. I don't have anything take before 1903 in that area. The trail (Mesa-Roosevelt Road) was completed in September of 1905.

Tom K.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Tom Ive been invited into the morman hall of records to see some old drawings and photos they have of the area before it was used to build the road. People dont realize there is alot of earth removed along that stretch of road.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

silent hunter wrote:Tom Ive been invited into the morman hall of records to see some old drawings and photos they have of the area before it was used to build the road. People dont realize there is alot of earth removed along that stretch of road.
That's great Kurt!!! It would be amazing to see some of the oldest drawings and photos ever of those areas.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

KURT,

Are you talking about the Mormon Geneaology Center in Mesa? They have some very old and unique records of the area.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Tom K My mother works in utah at a storage place called the old salt mines. Its a records storage place were the LDS keep a record of history ect. She can look at other states storage as well. They have alot of stuff about arizona and the salt river. She is going to help me find photos drawings and maps of that area.

Kurt P