SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS

Moderator: somehiker

LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS

Post by LDMGOLD »

There appears to be some interest in different names used for certain landmarks and their source. I thought if there were enough people interested I would start a thread on this subject. I have been working on this project since I first read Arizona Place Names and Motif Index. I have been gathering names for the past five decades and it never fails to amaze me how rapidly names change and (or) deleted from maps (official or unofficial). This could create some real interest. Names like Paso de Tesoro, Bronze Wall, Inspiration Point, Cerro Prieta, Description Rock and so forth date back to around 1918. The Arizona historian James H. McClintock refused to accept these names given to landmarks along the Apache Trail by the Southern Pacific Railroad when they had the concession for tours from about 1915 to 1929. How about Boulder Lake, Murphy Dam, Statue Mountain and etc?

Tom K.

Al Reser's camp in Canon de Fresco atop of Bluff Springs Mountain. Photo c. 1975
cubfan64

Re: SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS

Post by cubfan64 »

Tom - I'm thrilled to see you start a thread on this subject, but I hope you don't feel too overwhelmed, because I'm afraid I'll be able to keep you plenty busy just by myself :)

I have 2 initial questions:

1) You mentioned Canon de Fresco on Bluff Springs Mountain in the photo you posted of Al Reser's camp. Can you elaborate on when and why this particular canyon was given that name?

As many are aware, that name holds a certain significance in LDM history, but I've heard more than a few canyons pointed out to be the REAL one referred to by legend.

2) There has been some discussion on different forums lately surrounding the name "Salt River Mountains." Do you know the history surrounding that name and exactly what part of which mountains were specifically identified by that name in different time periods around the LDM legends?

I've seen claims that the entire Superstition range was once called the Salt River Mountains, but also seen references to mountanis to the SE of Phoenix down near the Gila river identified as such.

Thanks
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Paul:

I wish Jim had left this thread in desert because it will not just pertain to the Superstitions, but the surrounding area also including Apache Trail, and Highway 60 to the south. Also many people who would be interested in this thread have limited access to it. With that all said, I will give the best answers I can. Canon de Fresco is a named assigned to Bluff Springs Mountain Canyon by different Dutch Hunters over the years. The first maps it appear on (authenticated maps) were from the mid 1930's. Barkley's told me the name originated with Roy Bradford, Chuck Aylor, and Al Morrow. Floyd Stone said Al Reser called the canyon Canon De Fresco also. Actually I have heard all three make reference to it as such. I noticed the named Bluff Springs Mountain Canyon was first used on a forest service grazing allotment map in the 1950's. A forest service cartographer name L. P. Landon randomly named many of the various landmarks in the 1930's. Names such a Monte de Espuma. If you have studied the many fake maps made up over the years you will find the source of many names used today in the mountains.

At one time (1864-68) all the mountains south of the Salt River, including Superstition Mountain were called the Salt River Mountains. During the campaigns of the mid 1860's against the Apache-Yavapai in the Superstition area and Pinal Mountains the military called Superstition Mountain both Salt River Mountain and Sierra de Supersiticiones. By 1870 the military made reference to Superstition Mountain as Superstition Mountain, however in 1915 Superstition Mountain was renamed again to Coronado Mountain and Tortilla Mountain was called Kit Carson. Arizona State historian James H. McClintock, at the time, screamed about changing pioneer names. After a couple of years or so the original names were restored. Paul to further confuse the place name thing there been official documents that have been altered or forged in the state library in regards to place names. Therefore we still have lots of controversy associated with origin of place names. Each generation makes an effort to change them. The Dutch Hunters and treasure hunters have hundreds of names they don't share for various named landmarks. For example Bob Ward had a different name for just about every major spring and trail in the region. His sources were wide spread and very difficult to verify in any way. To be honest the more we talk about place names the more confusing it can become. The topic is still very interesting and now you can see why I have so many different names documented. These names do not mean they are absolutely correct. Joe Mays use to call Loma Prieta Treasure Hill. Others have called it Fish's Hill and Barkley called it Black Rock. This is the hill on the right side of the trail as you leave Garden Valley to drop down into Second Water Canyon and Second Water spring. I am sure others have heard it called something else.

I believe this is enough for this post. A book wouldn't really solve any of the issues associated with place names in this wilderness, but it certainly would be interesting. From now on my answers are going to be much shorter and I will probably edit better.

Take care,

Tom K.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

LDMGOLD wrote:Paul:

I wish Jim had left this thread in desert because it will not just pertain to the Superstitions, but the surrounding area also including Apache Trail, and Highway 60 to the south.

Tom K.
Ahhhhh... Hmmmm... Did you notice the title you put on the topic Tom?

" SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS" ;)
LDMGOLD wrote:Paul:

Also many people who would be interested in this thread have limited access to it.
Access (Registration) is free to everyone, and there are no access limitations on any registered members, so there should not be any problem there.

Very interesting topic!

Best,

Jim
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Jim:

Yes, but maybe I should rename it Area Place Names therefore it would not be so specific. Basically most of the place names that I have the history and source on are both in the wilderness and just outside the area. Locations such as Bronco Butte, Bronze Wall, Holden's Wall, McKay's Camp, Pine Air Road Camp, and Inspiration Point. I really did not mean for this be part of the LDM, but I knew there would be some interaction with names however. One is case is Burnt Canyon, Crab Canyon, Crabtree Canyon and Fire Rock Canyon. All of these are names for the same canyon given by different people over the years for different reasons.

Tom K.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Morning Tom,

The General Desert Information Forum covers a very large area.
ie: New Mexico, Arizona, California, Arizona, Nevada... etc. Since your list of placenames, applies to the area in and around the Superstition Mountains. This would be the proper forum for it.

If you want to spread out into the other states, then it would be better to start a new topic for those areas, in the General Desert Information Forum.

Best,

Jim
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Jim:

This will work out for now. It might not be that popular anyway. Also I don't have a lot of time to devote to it now, but I probably can keep in interesting for those interested in place names and landmarks in the area.

Tom K.
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Tom,

You mentioned if enough people would be interested. Count me in. I consider the historical names to be of significant importance.

Thank You,
Ashton
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Tom I am sure it will be great reading for us all!! Count me in>

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter
Guz

Post by Guz »

We could just rename everything after us forum members...

Guz