SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS

Moderator: somehiker

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS

Post by silent hunter »

Jim the name Fortress Hill is a name that Floyd Stone called part of the tortilla Ranch. I dont think you will find that name on any map. I know where it is at.

Tom is that the same Fortress Hill you where refering?
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Stoney often made comments about the ranch being a fortress; but that was nothing but in jest because Elmer Pope use to grip so much about the old Tortilla ranch house. A good wind would have blown it down. I have a lot of photos of it taken in the late 60's and early 70's. The Fortress Hill that has all the relics on it is a completely different area than the ranch. It is because of the artifacts I haven't told people it's exact location. Because so many Native Americans died on the slopes and around Fortress Hill Elmer Pope considered the hill sacred. I have since protected it's location from the general public. It is much like the cave over in the Haunted Canyon area. If I choose to reveal the locations of both places they would be destroyed by the general public. If you don't believe me look what the idiots are doing to the old guard rail along Fish Creek Hill near Inspiration Point with their spray cans. Sorry, the secret remains safe with me. There are few living people who have roamed these mountains longer than I have and know the things I know about them.

Tom K.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Yeah Tom I agree that the location should remain silent!! Thats why I never tell people the location of places I have found. I know where the location to fortress hill is and it's ok with me if I never tell anyone. But you should never bring up name or location, that you are not wanting to discuss. I am sure you know that I know what location you are refering to.

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Kurt,

Unless your source for the name is the same as Tom's. How can you be certain it is the same place? I know of two different places back in that country, that two different people have told me were Fortress hill. Al Reser showed me one place and called it Fortress Hill, and Carl Boderick showed me another and told me IT was Fortress Hill.

That is why I asked Tom where it was. (To see if his "Fortress Hill" was one of the ones I was told about).

Best,

Jim
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I could never know for sure. But the story goes like this. Jim some time ago I had read some writtings that Tom was involved with that told of the location of fortress hill. From the writting I set out to find the location and found a location along the route he discribed. There is alot of history regaurding Indians in that area. I spent alot of time reading about the attacks on Indian camps within that area. It was a trip Tom was invited on in the 1970's. I could get into more details but then I could be completly wrong. SO FOR THE RECORD I BELIEVE I HAVE BEEN TO FORTRESS HILL............BUT WHO WILL EVER KNOW UNLESS TOM AND I WENT THERE TOGATHER

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I see Kurt,

Can't get any closer to Tom's source, than something like that which Tom wrote. That pretty well cinches it down to the same source! :mrgreen:

Also... I sometimes forget that you have been around here long enough to have known some of those 'Ole Timers yourself.

Best,

Jim
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

silent hunter wrote:
SO FOR THE RECORD I BELIEVE I HAVE BEEN TO FORTRESS HILL............BUT WHO WILL EVER KNOW UNLESS TOM AND I WENT THERE TOGATHER

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter
Next time we are back in that area together, I will show you mine, if you will show me yours. (Fortress Hill) :lol:
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

I have a feeling both Carl and Al were talking about two different spots that composed one of the battlefields that two skirmishes were fought near the ranch area (within a mile or two of the ranch). The Fortress Hill, that know about, had numerous relics laying around and would be easy to recognize. The area is quite removed from the ranch area and in a very remote area. I have several photos I have taken of Fortress Hill and relics found on its slopes. Like I said this spot was very sacred to Elmer Pope and I promised him I would never reveal its location. If you know the actual site, hopefully you will never pass it on to somebody that would desecrate it.

Take care,

Tom K.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Hmmm - I'm gonna have to do some exploring one of these days out that way. I have a feeling I know roughly the area this might be in, but haven't set foot in that direction yet on my explorations.

Standing on a site like that must truly be a solemn yet amazing experience. Letting your mind wander as you gaze over the location - imagining the scenes that took place there 150 or so years ago and feeling the awe of being there on the site of something historic...

As much as I would love to see some of these "special" places out there, I completely understand what would happen if the general public were aware of them - in a short time the only "history" left would be empty soda bottles and plastic wrap :(
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Tom silence is ok with me. I have never taken anyone to the places I have found. If you didn't want to go on the search you didn't need to see the results. I hunt alone for the most part. But I will go out hiking with Jim H anytime.

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter