Native Americans in the Superstition Mts.

Moderator: somehiker

StevenTrost
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Native Americans in the Superstition Mts.

Post by StevenTrost »

Starting a new topic on the Native Americans in the Superstition mountains and hope to take it in a different direction than the previous Native American topic. Hope to seperate the Native American sites from the Spanish, Mexican and early Anglo sites. And with the desire this thread will stay on topic and some really good information and ideas will result from the members.

A photo appeared earlier in another thread and the identity of the rock markings was discussed without a definate ID being made of the marks. Is this Spanish, Mexican or Native American ? I have tried to find something on the marks and have come up empty. Does ANYONE have a definate ID of what the marks are ? Are they Native American, Spanish, Mexican or Anglo or at least a best guess ? If spirit is looking in and has any comment it would also be most welcome. At least that might eliminate if it was Native American or not.

The gentleman in the photo is Clay Worst, he is sitting on the rock with the markings. A mine of mercury is somewhere in the vicinity.

Steven
Rock Markings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan m

Re: Native Americans in the Superstition Mts.

Post by alan m »

Those markings look like tool marks, as such they could have been made by anyone.
The Indians used sharpened sticks as much as they did arrowheads when hunting.
The Spanish used sharpened sticks in thier fortifications and sometimes for cooking.
Are there any other indications of habitation near the site?
Alan
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I have some other photos from that spot I'll try to post later if you're interested.
StevenTrost

Post by StevenTrost »

cubfan64,

Any photos of the site or any information would be most welcome.

Steven
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Steven those photo's are close to the Mercury mine...Recently the drills where found in a stash close by.....Jim Hatt found the mine first....What info are you looking for and do you know where the site is?

Double-Jack
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I'm surprised drills can be sharpened in a soft sandstone material like that, but if the drills have been found, I'll bow out of the conversation. Kurt can post photos of the other things in the area.

I assume the drills were left in the stash, but were any photos taken that could help determine their age?
StevenTrost

Post by StevenTrost »

silent hunter,

Only looking for information on if the rock markings are Native American. I don't know where the mine nearby the rock is other than in the Superstition mountains someplace, could be anywhere. I'm not trying to find or locate the site.

The rock being used for sharpening drills sounds good to me, I'm totally at a loss, something harder than the rock had to be dragged across it to make the groves. Some of the Native American books I have contain a photo similar to this but in different, harder apearing rock. However a mine is somewhat near that site also.

The photo is from a native American indian site in Arizona on the Agua Fria river somewhere east of the Bradshaw mountains.

Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

removed by op
Last edited by cubfan64 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan m

Post by alan m »

Those marks were not made by anyone sharpening mining drills.
Even the old spanish drills were of a cross face construction much like the drills used today.
They may have been made by spanish or mexican miners sharpening mining spikes.
A minning spike was used to split rock.
It is inserted into the drill hole and then heated causing it to expand fracturing the rock.
Alan
StevenTrost

Post by StevenTrost »

cubfan64,

My email is and has been on page 2 of the Edward Curtis topic.

Steven
Last edited by StevenTrost on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.