roc2rol
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Rating Hiking the Superstitions

Post by roc2rol »

This is a general question to hikers

How does Hiking the Superstitions rate?

Is it a heavily favored area to hike?
How would it rate compared to other areas in Arizona?
What other areas are favorites?

I know this probably a very subjective question
with lots of varying answers
and being that I’m not a hiker
hopefully I asked it correctly

I’m just trying to judge how favorable it is from a hikers point of view.

Thanks!

Ed
babymick1

Re: Rating Hiking the Superstitions

Post by babymick1 »

Roc2Rol

I hiked alot in the bullhead area, and basicly everywhere north and south of thier for fifty miles or so. I find it to be full of trash' mostly desert dumping, Large household items just thrown out. Its the only state Iv'e hiked that contains so much trash, just dumped! So when I entered the Superstitions I was surprised and delighted that it was basicly clean and and free of trash. But that know campfire's and other dumb polictical rules, is as trashy as the trash. Rules set by polictical slob's that never spent a day camping with thier children' makeing the rules. Takeing rules way to far and saying its to preserve for our kids is a crock of colbolla sh@t.

Take Care

Babymick1
alan m

Post by alan m »

Roc
I have never hiked anywhere better than in the Superstitions.
It has all levels of hiking from easy to challanging and there is allways something to see or explore.
It is a truely magical place.
Alan
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

For anyone who has never hiked the sups....
I posted this a while ago, but I'll put it up again for those who may have missed it.
Here's a flying video shot over the Mountains in HD.
Features both the B-17 "Sentimental Journey" and the B-25 of the Commemorative Air Force Group, based at Falcon Field in Mesa.
The video begins with a departure from Falcon and finishes with the aircraft over the Salt River approaching Horse Mesa Dam.
Most of the best views are of the terrain around Canyon Lake and the Salt River Canyon between Canyon Lake and Apache Lake.
Should give you all a better idea of how rugged it really is, and the elevation changes out there, as well as what it's like to fly through the area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czVXxSOsd7I

Go full screen and Enjoy
If the video paused to buffer, you can change to a lower quality...doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
Regards:SH.
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

Hikearizona.com is the best hiking website that I've seen for Arizona. Joe Bartels has done a great job of putting together a nearly complete list of hikes in the state. Each hike has a double rating for trail finding and difficulty as well as distance and elevation change. I've done a couple of hikes with Joe and have seen him on the trails. He definitely walks the walk.

Included in the hike description is how to find the trailhead. For some hikes, finding the trailhead is half the battle. There is usually a description of the hike and often photos of the hike.

I think the Superstitions are a great place to hike as long as you prepare and hike within your ability.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

George, Hey I was trying to get ahold of you....I needed you to show me something......

Double-Jack inc....
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

Send me an email, gowilson58@hotmail.com

I work M,T,W this week and then have 6 days off. I was planning on spending a couple of days poking around the Jesse Capen area and then heading over to the rendezvous.