The Peralta-Fish Map

Moderator: somehiker

Choto
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

The Peralta-Fish Map

Post by Choto »

Those familiar with the Peralta-Fish Map will appreciate the new high-res. multi-color scan performed by ICM Document Solutions (Phoenix) for the Superstition Mountain Historical Society.

The maps resolution, especially when viewed under digital magnification, is unprecedented.

So, El derrotero de los minas oro apache (the Peralta-Fish Map) is the TOPIC.

SMHS
Fish Map Small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Choto on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Choto

Re: The Peralta-Fish Map

Post by Choto »

El derrotero or El cerrotero?

"Translations are: El Cerrotero de los minas oro apacho - The mountains or hills of the Apache gold mines."

El derrotero - the way, course, route, path, treasure guide. El derrotero de los minas oro apache - The treasure guide of the Apache Gold Mines.
El derrotero.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Choto on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Choto

Post by Choto »

The 1848 above the Peralta name is not found on the original document.
nodate.jpg
Choto

Post by Choto »

TREASURE TALES OF THE SUPERSTITIONS p.310
"Negro El Sombrero - The black hat".

Look carefully. "Negro" is not found on the original map. The word appears to be MARCA or, MASCA.

If it is MASCA, the connection can not be coincidental. http://www.augmentedarea.com/project/masca/

Weaver's Needle.jpg
jhowlett

Post by jhowlett »

There are several translations of El derro tero. the path, road map, but the most interesting, and this is not an in text how to use but a word meaning is " Exp to adopt a different course ".
Jeff.
Choto

Post by Choto »

There are.

However, based on what is being described (mines and a treasure trove), derrotero should and I think here does imply "treasure guide". Until seeing the scan, I understood the word to be cerrotero, from the Legends of Adventure Map (a tracing).

Obviously, there were mistakes.

If El derrotero de los minas oro apache proves to be authentic, expect to find a connection between Frank Fish and Cristobal Peralta (from Clay's "The Salazar Survey").

The theory... J. Cristobal F. Peralta (1852-1933) of Hermosillo, Sonora (or his son Francisco) gave the map to Frank Fish. Cristobal's genealogy traces back to Gabriel Peralta of the Anza Expedition.

In fact, we know exactly where and when Gabriel and his family first saw the Superstitions.
Last edited by Choto on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choto

Post by Choto »

Anza View.jpg
Gabriel and his family would have seen the Superstitions from their campsite on November 1 (above photo). Read the diary entries below. Not difficult to imagine any conversation with their Pima hosts turning to gold and the mysterious Superstitions.

We can see a history of visits to the Pima as early as 1768.

Diary of Juan Bautista de Anza:
Wednesday, November 1. -- Having heard the holy sacrifice of the Mass, and prepared our train for the march, we set forth at a quarter to ten today. Going generally west-northwest, and following the meadows of the river until we had traveled four leagues in as many hours, we arrived at the first pueblo of the Pimas , commonly called by them Juturitucam, whose numbers, compactness, and other circumstances I noted in my former diary , and since there has been no change whatever I omit them now.

The affability and friendly treatment which I experienced from these people in my last expedition I have found repeated on this occasion. They all had the good manners to come to salute me and to prepare a bower or arcade of five naves in which to lodge us, and where they voluntarily supplied us with an abundance of water, wood, and some provisions of the kinds which they use. This good treatment I reciprocated with an abundance of glass beads and tobacco , distributing them amongst all those who assembled, who were more than a thousand. In this pueblo there is a good piece of pasturage , a circumstance to be appreciated because of the usual lack of it.

Here I have learned that the tribes between this place and the Colorado , allied with these natives, have remained friendly ever since I exhorted them to peace with each other. To me this has been a matter of satisfaction, because of the advantages to them as well as of the effect produced by the name of the king, in whose name I made the exhortation. For this reason, and in order that they might make known their joy at our passage through their country, the Pimas soon after I arrived at the pueblo asked my permission to celebrate it with their accustomed dances and songs, and with this molestation, for such in reality it is for us, we spent the rest of the day and night with them. -- 8. From the presidio of Tubac to the pueblo of Juturitucan on the Gila River , 42 leagues.

Diary of Pedro Font:
November l. -- We set out from La Laguna at half-past nine in the morning, and, at one in the afternoon, arrived at the town of San Juan Capistrano de Uturituc, having travelled four leagues to the west-northwest. The Indians, whom I estimated at about a thousand souls, received us drawn up in two files -- the men on one side and the women on the other -- and when we alighted, they all came in turn to salute us and to give us their hands -- first the men, and then the women -- and manifested great pleasure at seeing us. They lodged us in a large shelter of boughs that they constructed on purpose, and, heathen as they were, planted a large cross in front of it, and then brought water to the camp for the people

Diary of Father Garcés:
Nov. 1. We departed from the laguna [Camani], and having marched 4 leagues westnorthwest we arrived at the Rancheria de San Juan Capistrano, [Footnote 41] where we were received by about a thousand Indians [Footnote 42] drawn up in two ranks. They had built a large bower (ramada) [Footnote 43] in which to entertain us, in front of which had they set up a cross. Soon as we dismounted they passed from one to another to kiss our hand, [Footnote 44] and saluted us in the name of God, as do all the other Christian Pimas. Since whenever [i. e., in 1768, 1770, 1771, 1774] I have been among these poor gentiles they have received me with equal kindness, I have felt deep grief to find that I could not gratify such great desire as they manifested to become Christians; but on this occasion particular was my pain to see so many people unite in begging us to remain here to baptize them, who in plenitude of affability and mode of living together in their pueblo surpass all others of their nation; as it does not appear that the time has come to gather these sheep (ovejas) into the fold of the church. May God do that which may be to his greater pleasure! They waited upon us and were obsequious to the whole expedition. They possess flocks (ganado menor) [Footnote 45] very like those of Moqui, or much the same, as I will tell in the final reflections on the Diary. They have poultry (gallinas) [Footnote 46] and horses, some of which they bartered (cambalacharon) with the soldiers for red baize (bayeta). [Footnote 47] They brought water for the party to drink, and served us in all respects as well as the most faithful Christian vassals of the king could have done. They were given tobacco and glass beads (abalorio). [Footnote 48
Choto

Post by Choto »

Slide.jpg
Fish Treasure Map 2.jpeg
slide1.jpg

Here are some anomalies found using the Peralta-Fish Map.

The first and most controversial will be the Slide on Canyon Lake. If the Peralta-Fish Map is authentic, this "slide" may have been initiated by human hands to help conceal three or four mines.

"Mention is made of this slide in the earliest traditions of Mormon Flats, but even the earliest Indians cannot remember when it took place".
AZR 17 April, 1907

...This may be describing the vertical slide found on the north side of the river.
Choto

Post by Choto »

Moving south to Blacktop Mesa we find more anomalies. Two, exactly where they should be according to the Peralta-Fish Map. Something has disturbed the soil at both locations.
Mines.jpg
Mesa Negro.jpeg
Mines2.jpg
Choto

Post by Choto »

Overlay.jpg
An overlay of the Peralta-Fish Map and GoogleEarth Imagery.