Parashant

Moderator: Jim_b

Sycamore

Parashant

Post by Sycamore »

I do like to type that name.

I saw in a press release that Parashant National Monument was going to get some Stimulus money for some gates (to protect visitors and resources). Has anyone heard what/where they will be gating?

thanks,

Sycamore
Sandman

Re: Parashant

Post by Sandman »

Ranger Ray posted his phone number on the old message board. Maybe he has some information on the Parashant for us.

"If you have questions about taking ATV, OHV, rails, etc onto NPS lands, please call before you go...435-688-0701 Happy Trails"
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

I found out, they will be gating some abandoned mines.

Sycamore
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Thats a good thing! Over in this area, our volunteer group has paticipated in projects to fence open mine shafts to protect unsuspecting OHV riders from taking a one way trip down. It seems like every year I read about some unfortunate soul falling into one. Quite often, the victim is a kid.

Sycamore, if you are out and about in the Parashant, please take some time and post a trip report for us all to enjoy. My adventures there have me yearning to go back.
Tommy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Tommy »

Yes I love this area too. I was recently at the Grand Gulch Mine and I saw that some of the arches that are still standing in the stone ruins of the old buildings were supported with wood structures and blocked off with temporary Tortoise fence, near the old dump trucks. I can probably scrape up a picture, but here is a link to our adventures:

http://desertratz4x4.googlepages.com/
CowboySlim
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by CowboySlim »

I just got back the last of May myself, Tommy.
Didn't see you there. :shock:
But we were over on the east side this time, near Jensen Twin Tanks.
Looked for Ranger Ray at the Toroweap Station, but no one there.
I'll post when one of our bunch posts a trip report.
In the meantime:
This link will take you to the pictures from our AZ strip trip, May,2009

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomweiss/s ... 961055919/
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

We've spent a lot of time going down to Tuweep (there are several different ways) on the many different roads down. It sure is nice down there. Here's a link to our site with a trip to tuweep, and others.
http://www.dustb-gone.com/trips/grandcanyon.html

There's a lot of interesting side roads that we haven't looked into yet. I did look at both the links above, and thanks. Never enough time ----
Don....
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

CowboySlim wrote:I just got back the last of May myself, Tommy.
Didn't see you there. :shock:
But we were over on the east side this time, near Jensen Twin Tanks.
Looked for Ranger Ray at the Toroweap Station, but no one there.
I'll post when one of our bunch posts a trip report.
In the meantime:
This link will take you to the pictures from our AZ strip trip, May,2009

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomweiss/s ... 961055919/
Nice pics! Most look familiar but a few do not. We were down there the first weekend in May, Cinco de Mayo. If you are able to make it out the three days following Thanksgiving you are welcome to join us. We go to the Copper Mountain Mine that time every year.
Desert Cruiser wrote:We've spent a lot of time going down to Tuweep (there are several different ways) on the many different roads down. It sure is nice down there. Here's a link to our site with a trip to tuweep, and others.
http://www.dustb-gone.com/trips/grandcanyon.html

There's a lot of interesting side roads that we haven't looked into yet. I did look at both the links above, and thanks. Never enough time ----
Don....
Don, I stumbled onto your site before and passed the link on to a few friends. I got a few trip ideas too!
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Thanks Tommy, glad to be of help --- nice everyone here is!

Don....
michael

Post by michael »

I was going to Parashant in Sept of 2007 & it was sooooooooo brutal (heat) at the time I didn't make the turn off, kept on going to Zion. I would love to go soon, maybe have to plan for a little later in the year. I really enjoyed all of the photos that were posted. Thanks for sharing & maybe one day soon I'll get my own.

Michael.