Parashant

Moderator: Jim_b

Tommy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Parashant

Post by Tommy »

The trip was ok. Nothing went terribly wrong, it just wasn't as fun as I had hoped.

We had 15 rigs and 28 people. About 3 times too many.

A good friend of mine lost an in tank fuel pump in his Blazer but he had a spare so he fixed it.

The Blazer and a Sidekick broke motor mounts. We ratchet strapped one and replaced the other.

Another guy with a Sidekick pulled a trailer. His bumper looked strong but it ripped out of the frame. It was overheating from the weight anyways so we took turns towing it.

We spent most of the trip waiting for one really slow guy. He was in a nice Jeep that wasn't overloaded. I don't know if he was sniffing the flowers or sniffing glue...

Part of the group went on to Mollies Nipple. The rest stayed at camp and hiked and/or wrenched.

We brought in our own firewood and carried out some burned up trash we found there. What looked like an old burned up chair and some other charred junk.

Someone destroyed the big fire ring that we spent hours building last year so we had about five different fires this year. I was in the last rig to make it into camp (we were towing the Blazer since we were in a 1 ton with a 454) so we didn't have much input about it. No biggie. We left the camp better than we found it.

I'm kinda grouchy but I'm trying to think of something positive to say...

I slept on a really old bedspring that was out there. I put my Thermarests on it and curled up in my bag and a tarp. I'm glad I brought the tarp because it started to rain and it was pretty cold. I coulda crawled into a tent or a covered truck bed but for some reason I enjoyed it... I really felt alive!

I enjoy this area but I don't think I'll be back anytime soon.This is my seventh trip out here. There are still areas to explore I really want to hike to the river but the drive is much shorter if I start on the other side of Parashant Canyon over by Frog Spring.

Well, enough of my negative report. What's that old saying? A bad camping trip is still better than a good week of work!

I'll post up some pics in the next few days.
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

Wow, that's sounds interesting! Who carries a spare fuel pump with them? I have been slowly working out the kinks with the Lincoln locker in the front of my Pathfinder. It is amazing the difference that thing makes in terms of over all off road capability. I REALLY need to get some manual hubs for the front. I tried turning on some asphalt b/c I couldn't get the auto hubs to unlock and boy was that an unpleasant experience. Luckily, it was just about a 1/4 mile on the paved stuff before we were back onto dirt. If they would have stayed locked I would not have been able to drive home safely, so that is one of the top things on my parts list to remedy.

15 rigs and 28 people sounds like it would be slow going even if no one broke down!

Mark
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

Here is one from last week!

MMM

Post by MMM »

When I read about road closures I shudder. I know that National Monuments require street legal vechiles on all roads, but I wonder what the reasons were for closing existing roads? Was there damage being done to the area? Or are the closures a furthering of the seeming national policy to reduce or elemeinate moterized access to public lands? Of the roads in the monument what percentage are or will be effected by the closures? Hiking and equestrian use was always allowed on roads, so to me, that is not a plus by itself. If no damage is being done then why close any road?

Mike
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I haven't heard which roads will be closed but there are hundreds of roads out there that really don't go anywhere. Maybe to an old cattle tank or corral. Hopefully the closures will be minimal.

I am usually the last guy to say nice things about any kind of law enforcement .The local Rangers around here are VERY unfriendly and unapproachable. The town I live in is infamous for it's overbearing Police Department.
I have to say the guys up here have been very helpful and friendly. The best road to one area we occasionally visit is technically closed (even though there are no signs stating such). Paul was nice enough to give us route suggestions into the area that avoid that road. He could have led us to believe there was no other way in.
MMM

Post by MMM »

I notice our Ranger has decided not to respond to the reasons for closing roads in the park. More closures, less public access. Save the lands from people.

Mike
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

Tommy, where exactly was the picture with the steep sandstone incline taken? I think you mentioned Coral Pink SD, but what trail might it be if you can remember? I went skiing this weekend with my coworker that drives the bad ass 4 door JK you saw coming back from Parashant awhile back. Anyway when we were coming down the mountain from Kirkwood we hit a patch of ice and ended up in a ditch on its side. A $400 tow bill later and some fresh fluids we were off on our 7 hour return to Vegas. All was good except a little body damage as you could imagine.

A week and a half ago we hit up Tie Rod Canyon here in Vegas near Mtn's Edge. Have you ever done that trail? We are looking to hit it up again here in the near future, would you be interested in bumming around with us? It is pretty stock friendly, it also is the first trail that I have done since I put manual hubs on the Pathy. They make all the difference when switching out of 4wd! No more backing up and going forward 5 times to get the hubs to unlock.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

NissanBoy wrote:Tommy, where exactly was the picture with the steep sandstone incline taken? I think you mentioned Coral Pink SD, but what trail might it be if you can remember?
It's more or less across from Coral Pink sand dunes. The area is called Canaan trails and most of it is off limits. I can't tell you exactly because I rode with my dad and I'm not sure myself. The last time we were there it wasn't marked as such or we wouldn't have been in there, and I'm not sure what is or isn't open...
A week and a half ago we hit up Tie Rod Canyon here in Vegas near Mtn's Edge. Have you ever done that trail? We are looking to hit it up again here in the near future, would you be interested in bumming around with us?
I'm not sure what trail that is? I'm so late in replying you probably already went. I usually go on a trail and if it doesn't lead to a place of scenic value I don't usually do it again so it gets hard to keep track. Let me know the next time you go and I'll try to make it...
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Tommy,

any pics up from your last trip to CMM?

thanks,

Sycamore
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

I'm not sure what trail that is? I'm so late in replying you probably already went. I usually go on a trail and if it doesn't lead to a place of scenic value I don't usually do it again so it gets hard to keep track. Let me know the next time you go and I'll try to make it...
Tie Rod Canyon is a pretty quick trail that starts at the end of S. Rainbow and goes past the turtle farm, up over a ridge to the east and dumps you out at Sloan/I15. It is a quick but fun trail. Nothing super scenic, but next time we go I should probably send you an email since I am sure you check that more frequently.

Thanks for the heads up on the Coral Pink Trail or lack there of anymore.