Parashant

Moderator: Jim_b

MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Parashant

Post by MMM »

If you want to go to Gold Butte with any mechinized vehicles, you better go soon. The entire area is being sought by many groups as wilderness.

http://wilderness.org/content/gold-butt ... protection

Mike
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by SteveS »

MMM wrote:If you want to go to Gold Butte with any mechinized vehicles, you better go soon.
Thanks for the heads up. I like that area and didn’t know it was up for wilderness.

I did find this map. Mike do you know if it is accurate per the plan?

http://www.nevadawilderness.org/items/m ... il2010.pdf
MMM

Post by MMM »

The maps pretty much show it all. Anything not wilderness will be NCA or national Conservation Area. A lot of roads (shown in red) will be forever closed. Remember a stated goal of nevada wild is to make just all public lands in nevada wilderness. One step at a time.

Mike
desert wanderer

Post by desert wanderer »

MMM wrote:The maps pretty much show it all. Anything not wilderness will be NCA or national Conservation Area. A lot of roads (shown in red) will be forever closed. Remember a stated goal of nevada wild is to make just all public lands in nevada wilderness. One step at a time.

Mike
If they DID accomplish that goal, many folks would not be able to access the beautiful areas in Nevada-especially central Nevada, which is one of my favorite exploration and camping areas.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Whitmore Canyon, Bar-10 ranch.

http://www.bar10.com/

I’m sure most of you have seen or know about this place, but I recall any write-ups from anyone who has stopped or stayed at the Bar-10.

This place is a nice oasis set in a spectacular area. My wife liked the accommodations and the place is clean and well maintained, and I LOVED the food. The meals where basic meat and potato fare, but the beef was some of the best I’ve eaten in a long time. Also if a person has the money and time the Bar-10 offers other activities.

A few weeks back we went out to camp, explore and site-see in the Parashant area. Since my wife could make this trip, we decided look into staying at the Bar-10. My wife likes a few days of camping, but when I we can add a real bed, restroom, and shower she’s a lot happier.

We opted for a covered wagon to sleep in, and that worked out perfect. The weather was great, and we kept both end flaps wide open. Since we had a full moon and clear skies we could see the outline of the Grand Canyon from our bed.

I’m very bad with names, but the people working at the ranch where very nice, friendly, and knew local and western history.

I will always have a good memory of our stay here and plan to stay there again, I course I like to do a lot of things again, hope I live long enough to do half of them. Ha Ha
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

SteveS wrote:Whitmore Canyon, Bar-10 ranch.

http://www.bar10.com/

I’m very bad with names, but the people working at the ranch where very nice, friendly, and knew local and western history.
Heaton family, I think.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

CowboySlim wrote:Heaton family, I think.
Yeap that’s the owner’s name, which is in the link I posted. I was talking about the hired help.

Besides, that far off the tourist loop, most people use a first or nick name. 8-) 8-)
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

I am putting together a trip to see Toroweap on December 27th & 28th. We will leave Las Vegas early on that Monday. Most people could make this a day trip if they wanted, but who would only want to spend just a day out there!?! PM me or send me an email to mghattendorf@yahoo.com if you want more info. This will be mostly 2wd hi clearance friendly, unless Mt Trumbull is covered in snow. Oh and I sold my Nissan, so I guess Nissanboy might have to change his name!
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

Well a lot has happened in the past month. I did buy another Nissan, so I guess my moniker can stay for now. I went to do a pre-run for our trip next week. Anyone in the SW right now knows how crappy the weather has been the past couple of days. I went out in the PNM by myself for just a couple of hours to see how nasty the roads would be. I hit this 10 mile stretch on the 101 that was just slick mud. It wasn't very deep, but I found myself sliding more than I would have liked to. Luckily this gave me a chance to try my snow chains in the mud. They work friggin' awesome! Since they were for my old 2wd Yota I only had one set so occasionally I had to slip her into 4hi just to get the front end to turn where I was pointing the wheels. Upon my return to civilization I ordered another set for the front. I now understand what people meant when they said a chained 2wd truck can go just as far a 4wd without them.The clouds and rain made for an excellent backdrop just as I expected. The rain and wind coming over Lime Kiln pass was almost unbelievable!

NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

Wow, it has been a long time since I have checked in with this forum. I have been to Parashant 3-4 more times since my last post. I now live in NE Nevada, so my trips to Parashant only come about once a year. In fact we are planning a trip in the coming weeks, if you want some details email me at mhattendorf@hotmail.com. There should be a big group of people, with kids, so nothing too crazy. I don't have any good adventures to speak of, but last March we camped in Oak Grove right off the main trail. We did this so people that were coming in at different times could easily find our spot. Unfortunately this also meant that law enforcement could find us easily and pester us. Not that I am some sort of criminal, but I don't like being 80 miles away from civilization only to have a park ranger "stop" by our site because they feel it is their duty. We had BLM stop by and they were cool, then the following morning a lady NPS ranger stopped by and tried writing us a ticket for cutting up a dead pine tree. I think all 3 land agencies, BLM, Forest Service, and NPS have different policies on wood gathering. I followed the forest service guidelines as that is what I am familiar with and that is what most of the property around me is managed by. Big mistake.