Parashant

Moderator: Jim_b

NissanBoy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Parashant

Post by NissanBoy »

The tree I cut down was standing, but it was completely sheared off about 12 foot above the ground and the bark was falling off the rest. So I cut it down. She tells me that ANY standing tree is to be left alone. There was other wood in the area, but none right around our campsite. I mentioned that there were numerous trees nearby that had been felled by a chainsaw and asked her about those. She said they were part of the wildfire fuel control program. Anyway, never will I camp of a major trail again. I saw more rangers there that weekend, then I saw over Labor day weekend in a developed campground at Grand Teton NP. :D
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

other than that, how was your trip? did you go out to Twin point? Climb Mt Dellenbaugh?

Sycamore
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

My trip down to Parashant was super fun this past January. We camped just a little ways down from the Tassi Ranch. We were a little disappointed to see the trail closure gate installed in the small canyon that heads east from Tassi Ranch proper. We ended up camping right off the runway just south of the ranch. The weather was perfect during the day and cooled off at night to enjoy the fires we had both nights. We didn't see much traffic the days we were there which was surprising being right off the main trail (again). I was stoked to not see any law enforcement, who might not approved of our use of tannerite while we were shooting our guns. We did have a couple come down after hours and were driving in the dark and missed a curve, they hit a rock just off the side of the road and blew out two tires. The truck was fine and they were ok, just immobilized temporarily. Surprisingly we caught them on the CB even though they were almost 10 miles away and we were in a valley when we got their call for help. It was a little windy at times, but we would just position the vehicles around the campsite to block the wind. Still love that area, but the trips from northern NV at about 1200 miles round trip make it so I can only head down there about once a year these days.
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

I seem to fall off the wagon on this site with some regularity. I am planning another trip to Parashant this upcoming presidents day weekend. It is really rare that I still make it out there seeing as I now reside in South Carolina. I do not have much details or really even a destination, but seeing as it has been 3 years since I have made it out there I am totally cool with wherever we end up. Anyone been out there lately and have some recommendations for special spots they have found?