Decline in Imperial Sand dunes crowd

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Decline in Imperial Sand dunes crowd

Post by Jim_b »

"The Bureau of Land Management reported there was a significant drop in the number of people off-roading and relaxing in the Imperial Sand Dunes west of Yuma this past Halloween weekend. Thanksgiving weekend has traditionally been seen as the big kick-off of the winter sand duning season as huge numbers of local people and others from California and elsewhere take their RVs, dune buggies and all-terrain vehicles out for some fun."

http://www.yumasun.com/opinion/dunes-54 ... oween.html
Tommy

Re: Decline in Imperial Sand dunes crowd

Post by Tommy »

I passed by Coral Pink Sand Dune in Utah last weekend and it was surprisingly dead too.
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by SteveS »

Interesting, thanks for the story. :shock: Maybe T-giving will be a better indicator.

I was in ABSP last weekend (11/7-8). While driving on Cut-across-trail I could see a lot of activity at Ocotillo Wells (OWSRA), and when I exited the park via Tule wash to Hwy 86 there was more (IMO) than normal amount of RV with OVHs in tow on the highway.

Maybe there was a OHV event at OWSRA, and not a good indicator of overall OHV use. But I remember my wife mentioning that she wonder why there where so many toy boxes.

BTW I swung by Desert Shores, there are some very nice water front houses with great views for sale. Of course they may become desert view houses soon. :lol:
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I suspect the housing bust and economic downturn has diminished the number of people who are using EZ credit to finance all the play in the dirt toys. There is an abundance of used toy haulers and motorhomes for sale right now
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. The EZ credit has taken a hike. We have all kinds of toy haulers, and motor homes for sale around here.

take care,

Tom K.