Maps and Mapping Software. GPS Mapping Software.

Moderator: Jim_b

Desertroad
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Maps and Mapping Software. GPS Mapping Software.

Post by Desertroad »

Since you posted this on a GPS-related thread, I'm assuming that you wish to use a GPS application within a GPRS service.

Not really knowing anything about GPRS mobile networks, I did the standard Wikipedia "what the hell is this" search. I only spent about 10 minutes looking at GPRS information.

I'm going to out on a limb here and ask: "Why would you even consider doing something complicated like this when you could go out and get a decent GPS receiver for not really that much money?" It just seems to me, after the most cursory examination of the problem, mind you, that trying to get international GPS on a mobile phone like the 6111 might not be worth the trouble. Several online articles mentioned that the 6111 is a discontinued model, and that the GPRS service native to this device is not one that is common (or even exists?) in the United States.

Investing in a newer system (phone and/or GPS) may prove to be more useful in the long run. Just my humble opinion.

Of course, I'm one to talk...once I get used to something I never want to switch to something new. I could provide pictures of my pickup truck, but I'm not out to scare anyone.

Happy Trails!

Desertroad
CowboySlim
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by CowboySlim »

I have a cellphone, but it does me no good out on the AZ Strip, Parashant, when I'm scores of miles from cell towers. I find it more appropriate to use a handheld GPSr loaded with 12 - 16GB of topo maps and aerial photo imagery as I can't download similar to a properly equipped GPS cellphone, such as an iPhone.
Desertroad
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desertroad »

I have realized that I am not a big fan of smartphone/mobile device GPS. Most consumer smartphones do not even offer true GPS positioning. Instead, they seem (Important note, I'm not 100% sure of this) to be emulating a GPS position derived from the system of cell signal towers that their particular service uses.

Most importantly - I am not 100% sure of what the cellular service companies are doing because they do not disclose what, exactly, their system engineering specifications are. Which is fine, proprietary technology and all. I'm all for the market-driven technology environment. But if you are gong to sell me a device which claims GPS functionality, I want to know, for real, is there an actual GPS chip in the device, or is it emulating GPS functionality from the triangulation of the cell system towers.

Big..fat..hairy..difference !

True GPS is a satellite based system, available to all, for free.

Cellular system GPS emulation is dependent upon the access to a Service Provider's system of cellular towers (ground-based, not satellite-based). If your phone service provider does not have terrestrial signal coverage in remote areas (the Arizona Strip would be a prime example), then it's anybody's guess if the "GPS" location your device is displaying is a truly your real location on the ground, or not.

I would love to hear from someone who actually works in the cellular industry disputing what I am claiming to be my understanding of the situation. Really. Please..anyone?

But...I'm not holding my breath.

To summarize:

Real GPS = spend the money, buy a decent receiver (Garmin, Magellan, Trimble, etc...)

Cell Phone/Smartphone GPS = don't trust it.

Again - anyone in the industry wish to refute my opinion?

Desertroad
CowboySlim
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by CowboySlim »

Desertroad wrote:
I would love to hear from someone who actually works in the cellular industry disputing what I am claiming to be my understanding of the situation. Really. Please..anyone?

.......Again - anyone in the industry wish to refute my opinion?

Desertroad
Here is my take on this question, regarding the GPSr capabilities of a cellphone such as an iPhone 4. It is all about the cellphone itself and transparent to the cell service provider such as Verizon or AT&T. IMHO, they do not know if your are using your phone to locate your position from GPS satellites or listening to songs. They do not know if you are downloading your songs from iTunes or street maps to see where the phone's GPS receiver has located you.