Vehicle for desert and freeway

Moderator: Jim_b

zhidoni
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Vehicle for desert and freeway

Post by zhidoni »

I am looking for a used vehicle that i can drive safely on either the mojave road or the 405. in other words, not a samurai or wrangler yj, but more of an fj cruiser or maybe a 4 runner. although the fjc seems to have gotten popular and expensive these days!
haven't been to DUSA for a long time. the new site looks really nice!

-jack
zhidoni
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Vehicle for desert and freeway

Post by zhidoni »

so i am settling on a Subaru Outback. I have considered the Tacoma, which rides very "trucky" also the honda ridgeline, which has better ride. But realistically i will mostly be driving the highways. and, from past experience, have seldom needed tru 4wd. airing down, plus a winch, usually is just as good if not better.
DesertWRX
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Vehicle for desert and freeway

Post by DesertWRX »

Subaru’s are fine until a wheel loses traction. Airing down and a winch is fine if have a place to hook the winch cable to. A 4wd Tacoma is a terrific adventure vehicle. It has ground clearance that a Subaru just doesn’t have and does not have to work to get out of a place where the Subaru would get stuck in. We have a very fixed up Cherokee and a mildly lifted TRD Off Road Tacoma. The Tacoma is a luxury vehicle compared to the Cherokee.
If you like the adventure of digging out a Subaru, go for it. If you like going out exploring without sweating, go for a TRD Off Road Tacoma!