Winter Hiking

Brooks
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Winter Hiking

Post by Brooks »

What are the typical February hiking condition in Canyon de Chelly and to Phantom Ranch at the Grand Canyon? Are yaktrax good enough or should crampons be carried?
reptilist

Re: Winter Hiking

Post by reptilist »

I haven't been to Phantom Ranch in 40 years....As I recall, winter was in full swing on the South Rim but down on the river it was hot! I've never heard of using crampons for any Grand Canyon trail.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

I was the lead climber for RMRU (Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit) for twenty years. I have not experience the Grand Chasm under winter conditions. However, if you have to ask, I will say this.

You need more experience before undertaking such an adventure!

Without prior knowledge of the conditions, and conditions can change, I would recommend as a minimum taking an ice axe and crampons and be proficient in their proper use. Those yaktraxs look barely adequate for icy sidewalks.

Be safe my friend, the laws of gravity are strictly enforced!

TradClimber
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

TradClimber is right about the YakTrax, they're just for icy/snowy sidewalks, they will not last long on a trail
Micro Spikes would be a better alternative to full blown crampons.
http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html
Canyon de Chelly has only one hike into the canyon that doesn't require a guide and that's the White House Ruin trail. It's not that long of a trail and micro spikes w/trekking poles would be plenty to get you down it in some snow and ice. Check with rangers about trail conditions.
I can't tell you much about the GC hike other than check with the rangers about trail conditions before you start down.
Just a thought, I would think that with the short winter days and being slowed down some by snow/ice on the trail, getting to Phantom Ranch and back before dark on a dayhike would be nearly impossible.
unlvdating

Post by unlvdating »

I really love to read some articles that have great positive impacts on its reader and benefit by reading such article. I admire these writers in sharing their views and or opinions that can enlighten the mind of the readers. Great Job and continue inspiring readers.

-----------------------------------------
unlvdating

Post by unlvdating »

Thanks a lot!
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

"instep crampons" simple and cheap (and safe!) are now commonly used. (most hikers don't have the old fashioned full-blown vibram soles anymore)

You can pick these up several places in Flagstaff, or at the south rim. They will be very useful for the first 1000 feet of vertical descent on the Bright Angel or South Kaibab trail. Since these are South Rim trails, they are on the north-facing slope, and in winter, due to angle of the sun, get little or no sunlight.

They are easy to remove and store in a pack pocket when you get out of the icy conditions (about somewhere in the Supai formation, usually)

Day hiking to the river and back is hard, but not death-defying like it is in the summer. Beware of the cold as you near the rim after a long day on the trail. Without a jacket, hypothermia is a distinct possibility.

Always best is to stay over a night (or two) at the river, either Bright angel Campground, or the cabins at Phantom Ranch. Be advised, both are very popular and may be full already, for your planned date.

Best of luck,

Sycamore
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I like the north rim country and out there one must be prepared for self rescue. The nice thing about winter hiking is it's not so hot. Snow is a great insulator. Take the right gear and dont over do things. I have been snowed in before and a good book or two comes in handy while you wait out the weather. Personally, I like winter hiking destinations that have hot springs. There's nothing like a steaming hot bath while it's snowing! Unfortunatly, the GC has none that I know about
desert wanderer
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by desert wanderer »

FYI; The north rim of the grand canyon is not accessible in the winter. The access road is closed at Jacob Lake until spring due to snow. (mid-May). A person could conceivably walk past the barriers I reckon, but it would be a long, long cold walk to say the least.