Here I am!

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Here I am!

Post by reptilist »

Greetings!
I'm rarely here, but still alive and kicking.
A recent highlight: I went rafting down the Grand Canyon with Yuccahead and his wife in May. Had a great time!
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Pam,

That was indeed my tale. I actually sold the story to DUSA.com, and it was posted as an article. I noticed, though, that they've cut out all reference to the wife being with multiples from the article as it now stands. The twins are thirteen years old soon.

It sounds like a lovely home. Is it in a residential area or is it more rural? Is it in city limits? Older homes have so much more character than the houses they build now. Even the nice expensive ones seem sterile. Maybe with the years they'll gain some charm, but I'll take those slightly imperfect lines every time. Have you had the wiring checked? That's something people are always telling me to have done, and our home isn't that old. Is this going to be a base of operation? It sounds like you're getting your money out of that fifth-wheel. The Wife prefers the Class A motor home with a toad. She doesn't drive it, of course.

Nice to hear from you. Keep in touch.

Space Cowboy
DesertWRX

Post by DesertWRX »

I remember some of your stories about staying in Ocotillo Wells! Sounds like you probably won't be visiting there much anymore, but at least you settled in the desert.
Welcome back!
Pamela Lee

Post by Pamela Lee »

Hey folks, back from OK and daughter's wedding and from having teen-age grand daughters visiting here for a while. Such drama!

Hey SC, wow! twins are 13 now? But that story lives on in my heart and I always think of your Mrs when I drive that area. After some of the drives the Mr has subjected me to I think I'd like your Mrs to be on my jury if I ever do just kick the Mr outa the truck and leave him on the trail somewhere! House is w/i city limits on 2 lots, almost .5A. It does indeed have character - and no HOA! Yes, we've had the wiring checked, was suggested we upgrade it, but that is on about pg 13 of the "todo" list. I was told this portion of town is more historical part of town and there are older homes in this area. The other side of town doesn't have the old flood irrigation system like we do. Closer to outskirts of town are several planned communities where seems like lots of LEO and prison staff live in those close together look alike homes. We are just one block off main drag, but quiet neighborhood so far. I swear we never heard the freight trains going through til after we bought the house! Rails are about 6 blocks away and trains sound faint during the day. The thick walls of this house seem to dampen the sound.

DW - We still have the property in OW, just haven't emotionally come to grips with selling it yet. I find myself missing being out there at times especially like last night with the huge full moon shining down. And I miss hearing the coyotes singing me to sleep. Don't hear coyotes here in town and I miss their songs. Although the Mr did stop in the middle of nowhere on the way to Casa Grande one day to "show you something" - he'd noticed a road kill badger on an earlier trip and wanted to show it to me. Almost 45 yrs of marriage and he still wants to show me roadkill. Is that true love or what?!

Reptilist - While we haven't done any rafting in the GC yet, we've several times enjoyed going to Williams and taking the train up. Last did it over New Year's with daughter and her family. SOCAL kids loved the snow and anytime we tried to drag the 2 yr old into the warmth of a bldg there was a MAJOR hissy fit thrown even when her little lips were purple from the cold. One of the days we were there it was -14. Since cracking my hip in a fall at work 2 years ago I'm super careful on snow and ice now and was always the last one in the line as we walked anywhere.

WW - glad to see you back...pull up a seat and join in! Whatcha been doing? We haven't gotten up to your area to explore yet but it is something I've got on my "someday" list.

Thanks all for the welcome back.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

The Wife inevitably tells the story about getting to that spot every time we're grinding up the grade. Its technically a San Diego County Park, but like In-Ko-Pah county park, its abandoned, a Ghost Park. Not as good as a ghost town, maybe, but still worth exploring. Mystery at In-K0-Pah County Park: http://www.dezertmagazine.com/mine/2010DZM10/index.html
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Wow what a great day, hearing from Pamela Lee. Where do I start.

First I’m very happy to hear from ya, but bummed to hear your hubby is doing less than perfect, hopefully your still in good health. I do like to hear your retired, but I don’t want to hear anymore success stories. Ha Ha

Like you two, my wife and I always consider towns along our route of travel as a senior landing spot.

I like to hear more about the ‘politics of Denning/New Mexico if you like to tell it. We spend the night in a motel in Denning last April so we could drive out to Trinity Site the next day.

We have never been to Coolidge Az, but have traveled the hwy (I’d have to look up the #) that runs north of it to Florence. When I travel thru Florence I think of the KOFA murders, and like the little museum they have. One thing I like about the area your in, it within striking distance of lots of great places, that is one success story I would like to hear about.

We don’t do much desert/back country exploring anymore and it’s been a while since we have been out to the Ocotillo area, but did look to see if you guys where there the last time we out there. Now days we travel the paved roads in the sedan and trying to see all the stuff we have on ’The List’.

Also I do not visit desert or 4x4 sites much anymore, and I post even less. I seem to have changed my internet habits and hardly log-on anymore. Like you said “Life has a way of sending you down different paths….” which is very true, and isn’t it GREAT.

THANKS for posting this update, and I realized I need to stop by here more often.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

almost two years since we have heard from Pamela, I hope all is well and we hear from her soon.
anaisac52

Post by anaisac52 »

Space Cowboy wrote:Pam,

You have to tell us about this little community you've moved to. We own some land outside of Wikieup, and some land over at Woodward, so if you're anywhere near those assurance enterrement, I'd be intrigued to hear about your insights and adventures. Actually, I'd be interested in anything you might want to share.

Space Cowboy
Merci pour ce récit, mais est ce que tu as vraimnet l'habitude de partir dans le désert et tout seul.