Salvation Mountain - Leonard Knight has died

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Salvation Mountain - Leonard Knight has died

Post by Jim_b »

Leonard Knight died on February 10, 2014 at the convalescent hospital in eastern San Diego County where he had been a resident for more than two years. He had suffered the ravages of diabetes, along with other ailments of old age. He was 82 years old.

He will be missed.

Salvation Mountain is now being cared for by a non-profit group, Salvation Mountain Inc. It has hired a caretaker to maintain the site, and to protect it from vandals and thieves. The desert's natural elements, rain, wind, and heat, create the need for constant maintenance of Leonard Knight's Salvation Mountain.

More on Salvation Mountain

http://www.desertusa.com/desert-people/ ... night.html
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Salvation Mountain - Leonard Knight has died

Post by SteveS »

Thanks for posting that Jim. You are right “he will be missed”

His little spot in the desert will never be the same. My wife and I always enjoyed our little visits with him.

I have no idea how many words I heard him speak, but on many occasions we would talk or listen to stories from him for up to an hour. In all the things we talked about over maybe a dozen years he never said a sour letter about anything. The worse thing I ever heard him say was one day we where out there and rain looked real possible. My wife and a female friend told us they where going to walk up his hill to see something and Leonard spoke up and said “if it starts to rain” and with a look of terror on his face he added “panic” at which point my wife and her friend said “we are not going” and Leonard said “Good” then he went on to explain his slips and tumbles down his mountain when he got caught in rain.

I have not been out to Slab City in over a year, but I would recommend to anyone who wants to see Mr. Knights handy work go soon. I have no idea the budget or the number of people working as care takers, but without Leonard’s God driven enthusiasm that place is going to fall apart. Heck the BLM may label it a toxic waste superfund site.

I do know God has a hill in heaven just for Leonard to continue his work.
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Salivation Mountain - Leonard Knight has died

Post by Space Cowboy »

Jim, I'm thinking you might want to change 'Salivation' Mountain to Salvation'.

Thanks I have made the change
Jim