When to go to Joshua Tree and Saguaro?

nemesis256
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

When to go to Joshua Tree and Saguaro?

Post by nemesis256 »

I'm planning a week long trip to these two parks for next year, around this time of the year. My reason for going at this time of the year is for the wildflowers, but considering how this drought in the southwest doesn't seem to want to let go, is it even worth limiting myself to the spring? If there are only a few flowers here and there, I may as well go in the fall. Are the Joshua Trees and Saguaros green year-round? Is the first week of April to late for flowers? I don't want to go much later than that, as I'm not a fan of the heat.
Moedad

Re: When to go to Joshua Tree and Saguaro?

Post by Moedad »

Both species stay "green" year round.

It's unfortunate that the rain hasn't come as early as it needed to for a good wildflower season, but spring is still a good time to go, as is fall. Even winter can yield some fantastic weather. You can have very pleasant weather in the higher elevations at Joshua Tree, like the Queen Valley area and even Indian Cove on the northern boundary of the park, well into April and even into May, although May isn't as likely. The lower parts of the park, like Cottonwood and the Pinto Basin will be getting pretty toasty by then.
Bambi

Re: When to go to Joshua Tree and Saguaro?

Post by Bambi »

Thank you so much for the informative tips. Haha.... guess what after your suggestions and I went back to read up. I decided to go for the Saguaro National Park and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. I will give the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix a miss. :)

Once again, Thank you. :)