New Gps

Night Stalker
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

New Gps

Post by Night Stalker »

I'm in the market for a new GPS since mines coming up on 20 yrs old. I'm looking for suggestions on one that won't break the bank, and coordinates can be plugged in. I would also want to be able to download it to the computer. Any suggestions will help
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: New Gps

Post by Space Cowboy »

Everyone I know have gone to using their smart phones for GPS work. I know what you mean, though. All of my dedicated GPS devices have cease to function. They just don't find satellites anymore. If you find one, do me a favor and post it. I'd like one myself.
Night Stalker

Post by Night Stalker »

I know there's an GPS App for it, or several, but i believe you have to have service so it eats data and the battery drains fast. Don't think it works as well as gps on long treks
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Looking over my buddies' shoulders when they're using them on some God-forsaken hike, is problematic. One buddy has paid the money for an actual USGS maps ap, but on the little screen, you only get a small section of it, unless you shrink it, which reduces details, for my eyes at least. The buddy with the topo map ap gets kind'a evangelical about gear and gizmos he buys, so while he knows a lot about all the electronics, if he's settled on one system he seems to find only fault in others. There Is But One True Way. I was wondering about a tablet with the ap, bigger screen, more detail, but unless you're carrying a back-up battery system, and maybe even a solar charger, you're talking about a day hike, and not really a backpacking trip. Battery life definitely becomes an issue. We always end up taking a physical map, and why? because it doesn't require batteries. When GPS systems first came out, Jim Bremner, the DUSA website master, did an article where he had the GPS attached to a laptop plugged into the cigarette lighter, with TOPO! or something similar loaded onto the laptop, and I thought that would rock for off-roading, but impractical for any hiking. So we're back to a dedicated hand-held GPS, and maybe a 1:24 topo map with one of those handy plastic measuring devices. I always liked Magellan, but like I said, my old machine just don't work any more.
Night Stalker

Post by Night Stalker »

I'm just looking for a gps that will fit in my hand while sitting on my horse. I usually carry a map and compas as backup.
I'd still use the one I have but it no longer gets info from the satellites and it won't accept coordinates. So unless your standing in a location you want to be or know the coordinates you want to go to it doesn't help much
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

NS,

You might want to take a look at the Garmin Rino. If the people with you have the same unit you will find a lot of helpful features. We had them for a number of years while in the Supe's.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Night Stalker

Post by Night Stalker »

I ended up putting in lay away the Garmin 64s with the Four Corners hunt unit map chip. when I get it in hand I'll give more of an update
Night Stalker

Post by Night Stalker »

I finally got the Garmin 64s out of layaway and so far I'm pretty impressed. The only thing I can see is it goes through batteries quick if your not using lithium. Don't know about their rechargeable pack.