Chiricahuas....

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Chiricahuas....

Post by reptilist »

For a couple of days, I hiked the Madrean forest at the Eastern slope of the Chiricahua mountains....I camped in a civilized campground, which I was soon to regret....as the neighbors were very noisy at night...

The camping area within the canyon is surrounded by huge stone formations, reminiscent of Yosemite...

I saw a lot of mammals: White tailed Deer, Gray Foxes, Bobcat, Squirrels, Chipmunks and a Coati.

I also saw a Patch Nosed snake, several Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes out on the flats, a Black Tailed Rattlesnake, many Mountain Spiny Lizards, Striped Plateau Lizards a Whip tailed Lizard (haven't researched it's species name yet.), and a couple of Madrean Alligator Lizards.

I took pictures of pretty much everything that caught my eye...
Acorn Woodpecker
The itsy bitsy spider....
This flower, that I can't seem to identify...
Butterfly on a thistle...
Penstemon blossoms (I think)....
A gorgeous Mimosa flower...

I spent a good deal of time walking into the Chiricahua wilderness, It was great!!! I love the Madrean ecosystem, but it sure was hot and humid!
Jerry Feldner

Re: Chiricahuas....

Post by Jerry Feldner »

You wrote>>>"This flower, that I can't seem to identify..." may be this but I have not found a picture

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx? ... =242101667

Where is the Mountain Patchnose? Too fast for you? :lol:

I believe the whiptail is Aspidoscelis tigris ssp - http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Lizards-Sub ... igris.html

Nice pics of mountain flora and fauna - a little respite from 110º temps we have been suffering.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I think it was probably a Big Bend Patchnosed as I saw it cross the road directly in front of me at the turn off from I-80....And yes, they are usually way too fast for me! I got out to give chase, but knew better....

Thanks for the plant ID link....Could be!

I'll get back to you on the Aspidoscelis....It doesn't seem to have the marbled markings of a tigris....

(Is AHA down again? It seems awfully sporadic nowadays.)
John Hardison
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by John Hardison »

Looks like a fun trip Terry except for the noisy campers. I have only been down there twice...
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I enjoyed going by myself! It is also nice to meet other naturalists who are visiting the region. Unfortunately, my camping neighbors were nothing of the sort...A visit from the ranger quieted them down for the second night though.

Jerry, I think the Whiptail is Aspidoscelis flagellicauda...Gila Spotted Whiptail.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Nice photos, never seen a coati in the wild. Thanks for sharing.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Really nice photos Terry! I know you had fun (except the noisy neighbors). Explain something to me -- the coati is this the same as a cotimundi (not spelled right)? Never have seen either but I think they are in the raccoon family -- right? Let us know as I really like that since I've never seen one and we did raise a raccoon once and returned it to the wild.

Don....
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Yep, it is a Coati Mundi....Member of the Raccoon family. This one woofed at me from the top of the rock for at least five minutes.
As I walked by, I heard it and thought i was a javelina...Except it wasn't moving off...So I got to looking around and finally saw it perched up there and addressing me as an intruder. That was the highlight of my trip!
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Well I really envy you for seeing him. I'd have loved to talk to that guy for a while. I'll bet they are very intelligent, the racoon I raised was. You should get a lot of comments on that photo.

Don...
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

You know the solution to noisy camping neighbors?
A backpack.
Great wildlife photos rep, it's good to get out by yourself once in a while.