Just had to kill a rattler on my porch

Goldseeker

Just had to kill a rattler on my porch

Post by Goldseeker »

I dont know if it was a s/w or d/b but it was right in the flower bed. Next to the flower bed, which is framed by railroad ties, is a cement porch, which is a good 8" in height, and it runs the length of the house. It was in the gap between the ties and the porch, heading up the porch. I quickly got my neighbor to come over, (he was born and raised here)(and that was a gamble, leaving it alone for 2 minutes) and he said he thought it was a s/w, about 6" long. Then, after it saw us, it tried to crawl under the front porch, where there was a little gap, and a hole in the ground. So I killed it with a shovel and threw it in the trash can. As I have said many times, 0 tolerance for rattlers on my property, and this one was just 2 or 3 feet from my front door. The door is thick and there is also a very good security door also very strurdy, but still....just too damn close to the house. BTW my neighbor said we have to kill any rattlers in the area where the houses are. Kids, pets, cant take the chance. And no pics, it happened to quick. All over in less than 4 minutes from sighting to killing it.

Heres my 2 questions:
I think it was a d/b because over 25 years ago I killed a similiar sized s/w in the open desert. It came into the camp at night! But it had those 2 horns on its head, and one button on its tail. That was a major suprise as it was Thanksgiving weekend and nightime and the air temp was 37 degrees. It surfaced inside the ring of rocks where the fire was. Total suprise. It had to go becauise we were camping there. But this thing was the same size, and no horns, and had diamond patterns on its back. nothing on the tail. Yes it had the spade head.
Too close for comfort. I sprayed wasp spray under the porch to see if anything else was there, nothing

Next. Before Terry told me about some snake repelent and now I cant find it, but I want some now. Since I have owned this place since June 03 that is the first rattler and I hope the last. So what is that snake repellent Terry?
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Just had to kill a rattler on my porch

Post by reptilist »

Snakeaway
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Goldseeker that snake you killed has family. They are smart and it's brother will probably try to find you.

Don....
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Desert Cruiser wrote:Goldseeker that snake you killed has family. They are smart and it's brother will probably try to find you.

Don....

If their smart they will move on down the road. Look, I took no pleasure in it, and actually felt kind of sorry, but what choice did I have? Would you want a d/b living under your front porch? Not me. Thats why I never go out at night without a good flashlight and watch where I go. The thing that concerns me, is it was little, and I hope and pray its the only one. I know they are on their own at birth, and I am guessing it was born this spring, so hopefully it came from somewhere else by itself. But there are racers around here, and if one of those sensed it, it would get killed anyway. The lady across the street has 2 little babies, just starting to walk. We cant have rattlers around here. I mean if someone like Terry was here to rehome it (but far away) that would be fine too. But like I said it happened in about 4 minutes, and it was already starting to escape. Cant take the chance.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I hope the corpse doesn't hang around as long as Michael Jackson.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

It went right into the outside trash can, which was picked up and dumped the next day.
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

I would have left it out for the Coyotes minus the head. I leave all the snakes alone on my property except those with rattles. The Bullsnakes around here will mimic a Rattle Snake, but they don't fool me, I leave them alone. They are my allies against the never ending battle with the mice.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Goldi is afraid of coyotes too!
:roll:
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

reptilist wrote:Goldi is afraid of coyotes too!
:roll:

In your dreams, reptilicus... :roll:
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

Here in the Oregon woods I have never seen a rattler actually inside of town, and Riddle is a very small town. However, a short drive up the Creek on a hot summer evening will produce lots of them on the road. Crotalus Oreganus. For anyone interested, I have posted some pics with my weekend adventure journal at Desert Rats. http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/232051.html