Just had to kill a rattler on my porch

Jerry Feldner

HSSC wrote>>>

Post by Jerry Feldner » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:55 pm

"The Bullsnakes around here will mimic a Rattle Snake, ...'
I hope you are in Eastern New Mexico because there certainly are no Bull Snakes in CA or AZ. In CA and AZ there is one species of Gopher Snake and several subspecies of Pituophis catenifer >>>

San Diego Gopher Snake - Pituophis catenifer annectens
Sonoran Gopher Snake - Pituophis catenifer affinis
Great Basin Gopher Snake - Pituophis catenifer deserticola
Pacific Gopher Snake - Pituophis catenifer catenifer
Santa Cruz Island Gopher Snake - Pituophis catenifer pumilus

Bull Snakes are designated as Pituophis catenifer sayi

NOTE: If you plan to Google this snake, be warned that there is a lot of confusion in the taxonomy. Many references still use the name Pituophis melanoleucus even though all the authorities agree that P. catenifer has precedence.

HSSC
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Just had to kill a rattler on my porch

Post by HSSC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:24 am

I'm in the Great Basin. I've often wondered if it was a Gopher snake, now I know. Many people call them Bull Snakes around here though.
Only once did I see these snakes mimic a Rattle Snake. I was a large one and very aggressive. It coiled up with it's tail wiggling like a Rattle and made a Rattling sound from it's mouth. Many times I've been able to pick them up but this one, I left alone.
I live up against the Sierra Mt.'s at around 5,500 ft just south of Reno NV. Out in the desert regions of the state they are much lighter in color. It is by far the most common snake that we see.

Thanks for the clarification. Ken

reptilist

Post by reptilist » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:26 am

We humans tend to interpret a snake's behavior as being aggressive, but in reality it is being defensive.

HSSC

Post by HSSC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:41 am

reptilist wrote:We humans tend to interpret a snake's behavior as being aggressive, but in reality it is being defensive.
Yes, I know that. I know he just wanted to go about his bussiness. I'll put it this way, he was being very defensive. Most of my encounters with these snakes, they just try to get away. This one stood his ground. :shock: Then again he was the biggest one I seen around my house so he'd been around awhile.