The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Rattlesnake Precautions

Post by reptilist » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:38 am

TMC=Too Many to Count.
:!:

Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:05 am

Seriously :shock: , or are you pulling my chain again?

gordon
anti-spam detector: No

Post by gordon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:14 am

I know death adders are dime a dozen ( and you get some change back) over in that neck of the woods.

Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:23 am

And why do you think they call them DEATH adders? You couldn't drag me to Indonesia, and I don't mind poisonous snakes here. I don't think they rattle to warn you either. Nice knowing you Goldseeker! :lol:

reptilist

Post by reptilist » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:24 am

Lets just say that 29 palms will be a welcome relief to your fiance in this regard.
:lol:
http://www.expat.or.id/medical/poisonoussnakes.html

Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:05 pm

reptilist wrote:Lets just say that 29 palms will be a welcome relief to your fiance in this regard.

Yeah, who needs to visit that damn village, anyway? We will stay in Jakarta. I googled it. There are 5 or 6 bad ass snakes there, out of 450-460 total. In the jungles mostly, although the cobra will occassionly go into a house in search of rodents. Rodents in a house? WTF, dont they have cats? :roll: Aren't the houses tight? Well, I will be in the city.

DC. yes 29 is going to be much safer.

Terry, I sent you 2 or 3 sites that I found that explain the snakes. Its not TMC. 5 or 6. 1 is enough though. looks like the most dangerous snakes are in that part of the world, esp Aussie. 14 ft cobras, not uncommon, and they might chase you??? And didn't Aussie just disarm the people. Talk about stupid. The record cobra, that they know of, was over 18ft. Makes our buzztails seem like a much better deal; not that they are harmless. I also read the antivenom is not always there. WTF again??? :roll: 2 weeks and back. I bet when she finally gets here, later this year I hope, she will be pleasantly suprised, she has heard bad things about the US, and worst of all, she told me (we have webcams, so we talk live) she thinks Obama will fix things. Wow. I sure have my work cut out here; I can see that. All I can say is that she is worth it.

At least we dont have 14 ft cobras that chase you and you cant have a gun. I imagine a 12 Ga or a glock with an 18 shot clip will stop any of those snakes there, IF you could own a gun. Some parts of the world are really bacvkwards. I read 20,000 people a year get killed in India by snakes. 20,000 (!!!) :o

Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm

reptilist wrote:Lets just say that 29 palms will be a welcome relief to your fiance in this regard.

Thats the same site I just sent you. :lol: :lol:

Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Don wrote, "...I don't mind poisonous snakes here."

Well of course you don't. Snakes are not poisonous, you can eat all you want!! Now, we do have some snakes which are venomous as are scorpions. Poison enters the system through the mucous membranes (Eyes, Nose, Mouth) while venom is injected through fangs for VENOMOUS SNAKES or the telson (tail) for scorpions.

Goldseeker; As for venomous snakes in Indonesia, I think you specifically mentioned Djakarta, there are not really TMTC, as Terry wrote. Here are some references which disagree as to whether there are 5 or 6 dangerously venomous snakes in Indonesia:

http://www.indonesialogue.com/planning- ... nesia.html

Even though the title of the above is "Poisonous Snakes," remember, you CAN eat all you want.

Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:17 pm

I guess there's a reason they call them turd, err, third world countries. My aussie friend, who was here a week ago, and who has been everywhere in the world, at least twice, said the first thing you will notice when you get off the plane is the smell. :o Then the humidity, but after 2 or 3 days the humidity is no big deal. My fiance said, yes, it does smell at the airport, but not where she lives, in Jakarta. She said she has never seen a snake anywhere near where she lives.

How would you guys and your snake tongs do aganist a 14 ft cobra? :lol:
THAT, I would pay to see. ;)

reptilist

Post by reptilist » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:21 pm

TMC...I was just pulling your chain.

Cobras, Kraits and Vipers.....Reticulate Pythons....They all live in the towns too.

In India, the people are much closer to the land, not to mention being the most populous nation in the world....20,000 deaths is a drop in the bucket, and at risk of sounding misanthropic....They live closer to nature and that's nature's way.

I'd rather you did not bring up political opinions here, but just so you know, Obama is very popular across the globe...Perhaps it is you that will be straightened out. Further comments of a political nature will be edited out, there are plenty of other places to discuss that, not here please.

God speed on your trip to the Orient.