first sighting of . . . .

kingmantraveler
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

first sighting of . . . .

Post by kingmantraveler »

Hey, Mr. Reptilist!
Haven't been on this site in a blue moon, but I thought I'd ask about a snake my daughter and I came across, about 10 miles west of Payson a few months ago.
I took a couple pictures, but being a technological dinosaur, I'm not going to try to post them.
I looked up the type, and found it is an "Arizona Black" rattler. Really beautiful - about 4 feet in length. Are they in short supply? As many times as I've been out, this is the first time I've seen one.
Hope all's well with you and yours,
Mike
reptilist

Re: first sighting of . . . .

Post by reptilist »

Welcome back Mike! I been hoping you show up. Arizona black rattlesnakes, also called "cerbs" are not rare, but they only live in the high country of Arizona and western New Mexico.
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

And, strangely enough, in the Santa Catalina Mtns adjacent to Tucson. Here is more info, including pics, that Mike did not post;

http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Snakes-Subp ... berus.html
kingmantraveler

Post by kingmantraveler »

Interesting.
I was always under the impression that snakes responded/reacted to vibration.
Just goes to show, age isn't necessarily synonymous with wisdom.
Last month we cruised the Rincons, and last week the Catalinas. Didn't catch sight of a single live rattlesnake. In the Catalinas we did come across a d'back sans head and rattles. Trophy hunter, I imagine.
We'll be walking down from the Superstitions to Hwy 60 next month, and I was told there's no shortage of snakes in that area. Looking forward.
Jerry Feldner

You wrote>>>

Post by Jerry Feldner »

"I was always under the impression that snakes responded/reacted to vibration."

But I can't find anywhere this has been mentioned. Stay under that impression. Snakes do not hear because when they went underground their ear bones (stapes, stirrup, etc.) evolved into parts of their unique jawbone. However, they do respond to vibrations which they can feel through the ground. Whether they react to vibrations, I guess, depends upon your meaning of what reaction is.