Do all rattlers have to be coiled before srtiking?

Jerry Feldner

Re: Do all rattlers have to be coiled before srtiking?

Post by Jerry Feldner »

One study by Erika Nowak, PhD, was done at Montezuma Castle, AZ, and the study animals were Western Diamondbacks and Blacktail Rattlers. Another study was done at a park in NC. I have both but I'll have to do some digging and I'll post them asap.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I have noticed that crotalus oreganus, especially the highly exciteable young ones, will when frightened, strike so quickly and vigorously in rapid repetition, often when I am still ten feet away from them, that their body will actually slide forward a couple of inches with each wild strike. However, this is a long ways from springing. The only snake I have ever seen in my life that seemed to be able to spring, at least in some way, was a seven foot yellow anaconda that a friend of mine kept as a pet years ago. This reptile was probably the nastiest tempered snake I have ever known. He let it have a whole bedroom of his house to itself. He had a child's small plastic wading pool in the bedroom and the snake seldom left the pool, where it laid on the bottom for hours and hours, only raising it's nostrils to the surface to breathe once in a while. If you approached too closely to the edge of the pool, the snake would explode from the water, launching it's upper body out in a violent spray of water as it attempted to strike.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Apache Devil wrote:I have noticed that crotalus oreganus, especially the highly exciteable young ones, will when frightened, strike so quickly and vigorously in rapid repetition, often when I am still ten feet away from them, that their body will actually slide forward a couple of inches with each wild strike. However, this is a long ways from springing. The only snake I have ever seen in my life that seemed to be able to spring, at least in some way, was a seven foot yellow anaconda that a friend of mine kept as a pet years ago. This reptile was probably the nastiest tempered snake I have ever known. He let it have a whole bedroom of his house to itself. He had a child's small plastic wading pool in the bedroom and the snake seldom left the pool, where it laid on the bottom for hours and hours, only raising it's nostrils to the surface to breathe once in a while. If you approached too closely to the edge of the pool, the snake would explode from the water, launching it's upper body out in a violent spray of water as it attempted to strike.

Some "pet"..... :roll:
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

"Some "pet"....."

Yes, the reptile obviously had some issues. I theorized that perhaps it had been beaten by a drunken father when young. Maybe his mother ran off with a python at an early age.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Apache Devil wrote:"Some "pet"....."

Yes, the reptile obviously had some issues. I theorized that perhaps it had been beaten by a drunken father when young. Maybe his mother ran off with a python at an early age.

Maybe it was a substance abuser when younger.....
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

It's owner was most definitely a substance abuser, but I loved sitting on my porch deck on a summer saturday night and watching the string of cute little 20-something girls coming and going from his parties.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Yes I think some girls are turned on by things like that. I have a friend who had a python or boa and he used to take it into bars, and he said that thing would get him more girls.....

My fiance would turn around and all you would see would be a vapor trail.... :lol:
Of course thats good; she would run straight to me.. ;)
I'm guessing the girls someone could get by using a snake might not be the highest quality anyway, if you know what I mean... :o
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Yep...showoffs, braggards, guys who drive muscle cars, that sort of thing.
:P
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Is that some sort of self-indictment on your part? (look at what you are holding in the pic) :lol: Puullleeze dont say thats how you met your wife.... :o
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

No...She doesn't care too much for snakes, but she is kind to all animals, so there were no huge emotional hurdles for her to cross in order to get used to the idea. She knows that they are essentially just lizards without legs....She doesn't like the rattlesnakes at all, but amazingly to me, she lets them indoors during the winter.