Do all rattlers have to be coiled before srtiking?

Guz
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Do all rattlers have to be coiled before srtiking?

Post by Guz »

lol! Maybe you should have her knit snake cozy's?!?!!
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

reptilist wrote:No...She doesn't care too much for snakes, but she is kind to all animals, so there were no huge emotional hurdles for her to cross in order to get used to the idea. She knows that they are essentially just lizards without legs....She doesn't like the rattlesnakes at all, but amazingly to me, she lets them indoors during the winter.

Now, I know you're joshin...... :lol: Of course, they sleep on your side of the bed, right?
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

"she lets them indoors during the winter."

Guess who's coming to dinner?
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Apache Devil wrote:"she lets them indoors during the winter."

Guess who's coming to dinner?
And guess who's "NOT" coming to dinner. :D
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Well, that's true, guests are scarce...But I'm somewhat misanthropic anyway.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Desert Cruiser wrote:Or if you don't want to spend that much money http://tongs.com/40inchstandardtong.aspx

Having any kind of tongs would be better than killing them. All you need to go with that is a 7 gallon plastic bucket with lid to relocate them.

Don....

After considering that gem, considering the risk to me, medically, financially, and emotionally, DC, any buzzers on my 1/2 acre are going straight to rattlesnake hell. :evil: Just is not worth the risk to relocate something that would not think twice about giving me a potentially fatal bite. You gotta be a damn idiot suggesting that. I thought about this for a few days before replying, and asking all the neighbors, and thats the unamious opinion on rehoming rattlers around here. Thats my opinion and I am entitled to it.
Guz

Post by Guz »

Dc is definatly NOT an idiot.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Advising me, to catch a dangereoius animal like that, when I have no experience in doing so, knowing full well that it could administer a potentially fatal bite, is idiotic advice. Deal with it.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I my opinion, it is safer to capture them (using the right tools) than it is to wage war. The intent to kill gets them excited and fearful, so you are more likely to get a serious envenomation, doing a catch and release is usually a very calm and quick activity so there is no uncontrolled angry rattlesnake...In fact, most people are bitten by venomous snakes because they tried to kill it. But, it does take a certain calm personality to do the job, and being trained is a good idea...But then again, it isn't rocket science either.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Terry, I am not qualified to catch them. I read the link provided and it would be ill advised for me to catch; attempt to anyway. That DC advising me to catch it really irked me, like he knew I could get bitten and didnt worry about it.

Yesterday, I did a barter deal with a car guy here in the desert, he lives in Lucerne Valley, maybe 100 miles away. Been there 25 years, lives on 10 acres off a dirt road, mojahve greens everywhere. Was bitten by a baby green once, in november when it was cold out, it was in his shop, which he built on his property. He was wearing boots, and the bite did not go thru. He wasn't sure though until he took off the boots and checked. He also said he built an outdoor shower with a small wall around it, and once he stepped into it early without looking, about 15 years ago, and there were 2 MG's in it, each about 4 ft. One was aganist the back wall and it immediately , using the wall as a springboard, launched itself right at him, covering its full 4 ft, not 1/2 its length, as I keep reading. It barely missed as he jumped backward just as fast, getting a nice lump on the head doing it. The 2nd one also tried to attack, but he was out of the shower by then. He caught them both, he knows how, and took them to someone who knew them. It was a male and a female. He left them there. Before that he said he had caught many, using tongs and bucket, but after that, he shoots any he see's on his 10 acres. Off it, no problem, but on it, they must go. He told me that putting them in the bucket, no problem; putting the lid on could be exiciting, shall we say. He told me that the guy who advised me to do that, (DC) was a damn fool, esp if I did'nt know what I was doing. I dont. Thats what pissed me off.

He also said he knows where you could go at night, and you would see tons of them, right now. He stays away