Something from my neighborhood.

Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Something from my neighborhood.

Post by Pharo »

reptilist wrote:I wouldn't use tongs, I'd use a critter noose. If the total length is 4', then half of that is tail, and that makes it a pretty manageable size
Well if you do catch it and even want to keep it as a pet, sooner or later you will need this link.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/90176/grill ... -tail.html

8-)

Later,

PBiZ
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Nah...I'm not interesting in eating reptiles.
In Arizona, crocodilians are forbidden to keep as pets.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

reptilist wrote:I wouldn't use tongs, I'd use a critter noose. If the total length is 4', then half of that is tail, and that makes it a pretty manageable size in my mind. I just need a volunteer to hold the bait...

Bill, I thought you'd be off to the Orient by now?

Monday AM. Back Sept 29. Feldner can hold the bait
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Goldseeker wrote, "Feldner can hold the bait."

Nah. I'm not driving 250 miles plus just to hold a marshmallow.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

I should have explained that better, you throw them into the water where the gator has been seen (at night) they will either smell them or taste them in the water and come right after them. It really does work. They'll stay around if you keep throwing them in the water. Yep that's too far to go to throw them into the river. Of course we could just soak Goldseeker and then pour sugar on him and give him a set of tongs right before we throw him into the river! Sounds like a plan! :lol:

Don....
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Desert Cruiser wrote:I should have explained that better, you throw them into the water where the gator has been seen (at night) they will either smell them or taste them in the water and come right after them. It really does work. They'll stay around if you keep throwing them in the water. Yep that's too far to go to throw them into the river. Of course we could just soak Goldseeker and then pour sugar on him and give him a set of tongs right before we throw him into the river! Sounds like a plan! :lol:

Don....

And if goldseeker is not willing?.......
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Then I'll just use chicken.

The critter, if it exists at all, was probably fed chicken parts. The fisherman said it approached him; which indicates to me that it is hungry and expected dinner to be served. It probably grew up in captivity and is very likely a poor hunter, having only learned to answer a 'dinner bell' at the hands of it's human keeper.

Actually, I have no legal business trying to catch it without being asked to do so by a law enforcement agency....If I were successful while doing it on my own, they could even get pissy about it and cite me for illegal possession of a prohibited animal. If called, I will serve...But I expect a healthy donation.

Think of me as the grizzled old fisherman (Robert Shaw) who captured Jaws..."I'll catch it for you, but it's gonna cost you! Arrrr!!!"
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Well Terry, you know my pokes at you are basically good natured; I hope thats how you see it. Like an internet chess game.

BUT.... Tonight, at 8:15 while I was out in the garage, yet another baby sidewinder; thats 3 rattlers in, what? 2-3 weeks? Since June 03 none, and now this? Yea, its dead, and I left it there in the driveway in front of the garage to see if its there in the morning. I bet not. But I am thinking there must be a nest. Not Good. 2 S/W and 1 D/B all small.

My garage is big, 4 car, 960 sq ft, and well lit. With a big cement pad in front. Well lit inside and outside. And thats where I saw it, outside, slithering across the pad about 8 ft from the garage. I dont know where it came from, I can only guess; but I think I know. I mean, I am seriously wondering if theres a nest. I was just locking the garage down for the next 2 weeks. And BTW, when I am not in it, I ALWAYS shut the doors. And when I go in it, I always look cautiously. Never saw 1 in there, but.....

What are the odds of 2 being in the same area (50 yards max) in that time frame? Do you think nthere is a nest around here or what? Tommorow will be my last day here for 2 weeks, until Sept 29. This is getting worrisome.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

reptilist wrote:Then I'll just use chicken.

The critter, if it exists at all, was probably fed chicken parts. The fisherman said it approached him; which indicates to me that it is hungry and expected dinner to be served. It probably grew up in captivity and is very likely a poor hunter, having only learned to answer a 'dinner bell' at the hands of it's human keeper.

Actually, I have no legal business trying to catch it without being asked to do so by a law enforcement agency....If I were successful while doing it on my own, they could even get pissy about it and cite me for illegal possession of a prohibited animal. If called, I will serve...But I expect a healthy donation.

Think of me as the grizzled old fisherman (Robert Shaw) who captured Jaws..."I'll catch it for you, but it's gonna cost you! Arrrr!!!"

$50?
Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Pharo »

reptilist wrote:Nah...I'm not interesting in eating reptiles.
In Arizona, crocodilians are forbidden to keep as pets.
I think I would like to try gator, it can't be any worse then javelina or carp.

Later,

PBiZ