Strange Rattler Behavior

ElPaso2008
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Strange Rattler Behavior

Post by ElPaso2008 »

Today when the leaving the canyon I was in the jeep and came across a young rattler laying across the left side of the trail. It was a young Blacktail. It was fully stretched out and did not move when I drove the jeep within about four feet of it. I wasn't going to run over it, so I drove into the brush on the right side of the trail to avoid it, but there was not a lot of room over there. The front tire passed within 8 inches of its head. But it did not coil up, or move at all, not a muscle. Thinking it might be dead, I stopped to look, and it flashed its tongue. But that's all. It was only about 2 1/2 feet long and only had four small rattles. It did have a bulge in its body about 1/3 of the way down the length of the snake.

Do you suppose it was sick, or do they ever behave this way after eating?
reptilist

Re: Strange Rattler Behavior

Post by reptilist »

No, he's not sick....Just making use of his presumed natural camouflage while taking a nap. Blacktails are normally a very self confident species that don't usually show much fear.
ElPaso2008

Post by ElPaso2008 »

reptilist wrote:No, he's not sick....Just making use of his presumed natural camouflage while taking a nap. Blacktails are normally a very self confident species that don't usually show much fear.
Makes sense. He was long gone later. These are really interesting snakes. Strangely, whatever fear I have of being bitten by one is outweighed by the fascination.
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Yes, and 2 1/2 feet is far from being a baby. When baby blacktails are born (born live, not hatched from eggs) they are approximately 10-12" in length. Rattlesnakes are born with a button (the tip of the rattle) and gain another segment with their first shed, usually within 7-10 days. After that, they gain anew segment each time they shed. The number of segments has nothing to do with age. So, even though your Blacktail Rattler (Crotalus m. molossus) had 4 segments, it does not mean he was 4 years old. See>>>

http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Snakes-Subp ... ossus.html
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Jerry,

thanks for the citation on Nowak, I picked up a book with one of her papers last week. ( C. atrox at Tuzigoot Nat Mon)

Have you seen Reed and Douglas's paper on CV abyssus along the Little Colorado? A very small range, constrained by the river in front and the cliffs behind. 2002 I think. I can find it if you are interested.

Sycamore
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Erika Nowak's big translocation study was at Montezuma Castle and involved Blacktails and WDBs. As for the paper you mentioned, I have seen it. My son has worked on a number of studies with Mike Douglas and Gordon Schuett over the years and still provides them with data when he can. I have seen the paper you mentioned but thanks for the offer.
As for the snake you mentioned, it is now considered a subspecies of Crotalus oreganus (See>>> http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Snakes-Subp ... ganus.html ) but Douglas, et al, on the basis of extensive DNA sampling, consider it to be a separate species. Notice the initials "MJF" on the big picture in the link. That was taken by my son, Marty.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Jerry,

I read some of the papers on the renaming of the C. viridis, I am just used to the older nomenclature. Also, the paper I was referring to predates the renaming and refers to abyssus as C v abyssus.

Thanks,

Sycamore
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

WOW what a fantastic shot. Marty's photo is very impressive, such detail and good DOF (Depth of Field).

Don....
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I have never yet encountered a blacktail. Thus far my list of rattlers is rather small. In the wild I have encountered Great Basin rattler, western diamondback, sidewinder, western rattler, mojave rattler, red diamond southern Pacific and prairie. For a brief time I had a beautiful juvenile copperhead until it perished of gluttony after eating a mouselet that was too large for it. I need to enlarge my rattler resume.
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Desert Cruiser wrote, "WOW what a fantastic shot. Marty's photo is very impressive, such detail and good DOF (Depth of Field).

Don...."

I wish I could say I taught him everything he knows but he learned photography all on his own. :D