Group sues Arizona to bar trapping of jaguars

Iggy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Group sues Arizona to bar trapping of jaguars

Post by Iggy »

I guess I'm going to have to stop reading the news! :evil: I refuse to ever buy a fishing license in this state. Is this one of the things AZ G&F are spending their money on?
PHOENIX (AP) -- An environmental group sued the Arizona Game and Fish Department on Thursday in an effort to block the department from using traps that led to the death of a rare endangered jaguar earlier this year.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT
Sandman

Re: Group sues Arizona to bar trapping of jaguars

Post by Sandman »

The recent comeback of the jaguar into the southern deserts of Arizona and New Mexico is amazing. These cats live on the edge and their toe hold is just barely hanging on. While the biologist study , the stress of being captued could have contributed greatly to the demise of the big cat featured in the article. Other risks include ranchers who might be inclined to shoot them and drivers who encounter one running acros the road in the middle of the night.

i'm thinking the less contat these cats have with humans the better off they will be.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I think it is a good idea to sue in order to prevent further exploitation of the jaguars by the good ol' boys who run the AZFG and USFWS. GO CBD!
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

But look at it this way. AZGFD and their hunting-oriented commissioners are "protecting" animals which do not need protection. Some of these animals, i.e., the Gila Monster (Heloderma s. suspectum), the Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake (Crotalus w. willardi), and the Rock Rattlesnake (Crotalus lepidus klauberi, have been protected for 50 years. In the face of new research indicating that these animals are neither rare nor endangered, the G&F Commission sticks to their guns and refuses to change the rules to allow take of these animals. So, what would make them want to protect anything else? They're already too busy protecting animals that don't need protection. Don't get me started on the fish!
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with you. Some of the Game & Fish people here are friends of ours and they know how we feel about them killing mountain lions in the Kofa Mountain Range to protect the sheep; which is a big source of income for the Dept. during hunting season. Leave mother nature alone! This is the same reason that I wouldn't give them the area where we saw the Jaguarundi -- there are sheep and deer over there and they'd probably kill it, or at least that's what I was afraid of. Even though Jaguarundi are not sheep and deer hunters because of their size!

Go figure.

Don....
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Sorry, Don, but I still dispute the sighting of a Jaguarundi that far west. The habitat, both around Yuma and the intervening are from the Sierra Madre west to Yuma, is just not there. Got any pics?