Pepper Spray and Reptiles

blackturtle.us
The middle number please (4): 7

Pepper Spray and Reptiles

Post by blackturtle.us »

As is frequently the case, I saw a rattlesnake while out hiking yesterday. I always carry pepper spray with me and although I'd never use pepper spray on a rattlesnake, the question of how a rattlesnake would react to pepper spray popped into my head as I continued hiking after briefly stopping to get a picture of the snake. Not being a mammal would it have a similar reaction to us mammals? If so how would it behave? While I'm curious, I have no plans to carry out any experiments to satisfy my curiosity. Does anyone have any insight into how a rattlesnake would react to pepper spray? OTHER PICTURES FROM HIKE: http://www.blackturtle.us/DV_SITES/BENDIRE/

Last edited by blackturtle.us on Thu May 07, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Pepper Spray and Reptiles

Post by reptilist »

Pepper spray affects the mucous membranes in the eyes, mouth, sinuses, etc...Rattlesnakes have extremely sensitive mechanisms for taste, smell, and even infrared heat sensors. Although their eyes might be protected by virtue of being covered with the ocular scales, I am sure it would be very painful for them via the mouth, tongue, nasal and heat pits....
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Pepper Spray against BuzzTails is very effective when used properly. Proper use is to spray the BuzzTail's eyes from less than 12 inches for six seconds (;D...Why not just walk away?
Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Allen »

TradClimber wrote:Why not just walk away?
Good advice! If one can, it is best to "just walk away". Sort of like the old adage, "let a sleeping Dog lie". No point in harming the animal if you have an alternative.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Allen, Tradclimber....Thanks for making my day!
:D
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

TradClimber wrote:Pepper Spray against BuzzTails is very effective when used properly. Proper use is to spray the BuzzTail's eyes from less than 12 inches for six seconds (;D...Why not just walk away?

Less than 12"? :roll: Are you insane? and 6 seconds? Have you ever tried this? And was the bite venemous? unbelievable......

At that distance you are a snakebite victim waiting to happen. I once rolled to a stop at the Colorodo River on my YZ dirt bike, if I had rolled any further, even 6", the front tire would have been smack dab right on top of a 3' rattler with a bunch of rattles on it. I didnt even see it for a minute, it blended in so well. I stopped to drink some water, and was resting, had been on a 6 mile ride, when I saw it while stopped. Thatclose to running it over. I bet it would have been pissed. I was carrying , wearing a sidearm. I could have shot it, but it was easily in striking range too. I decided to wait (in the hot morning sun) and after what seemed like an eternity, it slowly crawled off. I let it go. Karma. It could have easily nailed me but didnt so I returned the favor. The longest 5-10 minutes of my life. Dont tell me guardian angels dont exist. I know better. Back at the camp, everyone wanted to go shoot it, and that thing no doubt could have been dangerous, I remember it was a quarter or halh a mile away, was all. But after it leaving me alone, I did the only thing I could, I sent the vigilianties off in the wrong direction. :lol:

My question to Terry is this: Could this thing have bitten me while stretched out laying flat in the trail, or would it need to get in a striking mode first? My mind was racing, I would have bailed off the bike realfast if I could if it made any moves, but all ended well. I dont know what kind it was, maybe a db(?) but it was early spring and it was real glossy like it had shed or something. I counted around 14 rattles. My eyes never left it for a second. I need to publicly say 1 more time: THANK YOU GOD! Now I try to pay much more attention out there.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Less than 12"? Are you insane? and 6 seconds? Have you ever tried this? And was the bite venemous? unbelievable......
It is unbelievable, but I've been wrong before.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Trad Climber was making a faceteous joke about pepper spraying a snake (12inches)....He had the wink smiley working.

Bill, a snake can be stretched out and still whip around fast enough to bite. Sometimes a fellow has the idea to grab a snake by the tail when they are relaxing like that...But I'll tell ya, that's a good way to end up with an arm full of fang punctures.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

TradClimber wrote:
Less than 12"? Are you insane? and 6 seconds? Have you ever tried this? And was the bite venemous? unbelievable......
It is unbelievable, but I've been wrong before.

It just seems awful risky my friend. I would hate to hear U were bitten. They can strike half their length so U would be well within range. And of course they are unpredictable. I am waiting until cool weather until any mountain exploration, not just snakes, but its getting too hot. Be careful.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

reptilist wrote:Trad Climber was making a faceteous joke about pepper spraying a snake (12inches)....He had the wink smiley working.

Bill, a snake can be stretched out and still whip around fast enough to bite. Sometimes a fellow has the idea to grab a snake by the tail when they are relaxing like that...But I'll tell ya, that's a good way to end up with an arm full of fang punctures.

So Terry U R saying they dont necessarilly have to be coiled to bite? They can strike from prone? I still shudder sometimes when I think of the Colorodo River incident. I should have been watching the ground around me more. Sometimes on the YZ the terrain went by pretty fast. Bikes not running now. I have a 4x4 Silverado, great truck.

How many close calls have you had? Maybe that would be an interesting thread. I have had 2 close, and 2 semi-close; I figure thats enough for me. Dont want any more. I know 3 people around here that have seen SW's already this year, here being 29 Palms. BTW if I see one I figured I would call the fire dept as they are about 1-1/2 miles away. Or is there a better place to call. The Joshua Tree Park HQ is 1 mile away.