Skunk living under the house.

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Skunk living under the house.

Post by reptilist »

The crawl space under my house is perimetered by brick. But I have a strong suspicion that a critter tunneled underneath it, and as of Thanksgiving, a strong skunk smell has been noted therein; frequently wafting upwards into our living area.

I am thinking that a skunk has gone to sleep under there.

I have baited a havahart live trap, without success. I scattered moth balls around the house and threw quite a few underneath it...But now it just smells worse, like skunk and moth balls. What's next?
How about sound and light? I found a critter repeller on line that is motion activated to create noise and a strobe light....Any ideas?
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Skunk living under the house.

Post by yuccahead »

Did you try chicken entrails or fresh fish in the live trap? S'posed to work pretty good.
I think the moth balls are a preventitive measure. Once it's made itself at home they're not as effective.
painless

Post by painless »

yuccahead wrote:Did you try chicken entrails or fresh fish in the live trap? S'posed to work pretty good.
I think the moth balls are a preventitive measure. Once it's made itself at home they're not as effective.
Nothing beats a fried chicken leg. A skunk will fight to get INTO a trap that has a chicken leg as bait.

After he is trapped, just drape an (old, unwanted) blanket over the trap, and they transport just fine.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Thanks!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Skunks (aka polecats) are pretty docile. If it wasn't for that gawdawful eyewatering everything repellant spray they let go of, you could probably just leave it be. Unfortunatly, the little fella has found a home under your livingroom. Good luck on serving the eviction notice. Keep us all posted on how things are going.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

That's how I think too Sandman...
I like skunks and feel sorry for them as a species....so much roadkill, ya know....
But, man, having one set up a den under my den is hard on the wife....My wife.
I really think he comes and goes, as I don't smell him all the time.
Closing off his access is another issue that I am forced to look into.
gordon c. snelling

Post by gordon c. snelling »

Rep, I to have dealt with this issue many years ago and tried it all to get rid of them. Ultimately I had to wait until they were out for the evening and close off access points. The only thing that worked. In my case is was esp bad as there were more than one and they would fight under the kitchen, always a joy to be fixing a meal and have that bomb go off.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

The crawl space under my house is awfully tight fitting for me...
The thought of going in there reminds me of some spelunking footage I've seen recently on the national news.

But I might have to try. I might have to get in there eye ball to eye ball....mano y mofeta.

Peering into the void, I noticed a depressed area of under floor insulation....I have a hunch my skunk is curled up in there as if on his own personal hammock! I have a plan to roll him on out of there and into a box (cover him quickly). If I can squeeze my tremendous bulk into the dark tight nether regions 'neath the belly of the beast.
Why would a skunk be hibernating here? It's not even cold outside.
Do they just have a strong urge to sleep in the winter as do Box Turtles?
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Terry, why don't you get whatever it is you're going to block the crawl space with and set it nearby the hole. Then set some sardines or whatever it is that skunks can't resist eating a distance from the hole. Watch for them to come-out and start eating and then run-out and block the hole. I don't know what time skunks go out and roam around but I'm sure you can find out on the web, this will give you a clue as to when to watch for it/them. I'm sure you will soon know if there's still one left under there, if there is - repeat the process. I don't know if it would work but it sure sounds better than crawling in there with them. :)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

He didn't get in there from the crawl space. He got in there from a tunnel dug by rock squirrels...One end under my house, the other end under an out building! I am going to have to do something about it...Maybe even demolish the outbuilding floor.