The Desert Year

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: The Desert Year

Post by yuccahead »

After another trip up to Arches yesterday it was pretty apparent that it's the season of the toad, the red spotted toad. They seemed to be everywhere. I went to another wash that I knew would have potholes with water and I hardly recognized it. I hadn't been there since ths spring and flood waters this summer had torn it a new one. It was deeper and wider than before and walking it was like I had never been there before.
Some potholes were cut into deep rock and some had wet, sandy beaches. Some were about 2" long while others were pool size. Deep, shallow-didn't matter, red spotted toads were nearby.

Most of them were quite small, 1/2 - 3/4 inch or so.

They were in the water and hopping on the wet sand. As I continued walking down the sandy wash I began to see them hopping around the shrubs and out in the dry wash bed. I hiked a mile or more and still saw them hopping about, hundreds of yards from any water source.

This was the largest one I saw at about 3 inches long.

Tracks of the red spotted toad, mouse track below.

Read more about the red spotted toad
http://www.desertusa.com/mag06/may/red-spot.html
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

The diversity of life at any one of these water holes is pretty amazing, though not always apparent. Sometimes I just need to sit next to one for a while and watch. Besides the red spotted toads I saw Great Basin spadefoot toads and tadpoles and toadpoles in every stage of developement.
Great Basin spadefoot toad

Water striders can see my massive hulk and scurry across the water to the other side but will return if I remain motionless. Predaceous diving beetles rapidly swim to the top for a breath of air then quickly dive back into the silty depths of these small pools. Numerous other insects, beetles and desert life are all drawn to the water while it lasts.
Water strider

yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

Craig Childs, the wonderful southwest writer, has a fine article on ephemeral water in the desert, take a look-
http://www.houseofrain.com/pdfs/ChildsM ... sSpr09.pdf

Just a few more photos of the life drawn to this water in the desert.
Dragonfly

Long nosed leopard lizard

No ID on this lizard, he was just hanging around

And one last shot of a pothole in Arches NP

Most of the life in these potholes are too small to see. Here's more info on how these tiny creatures make a living in these short-lived pools of desert water.
http://www.nps.gov/cany/naturescience/pools.htm
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

I made it up into the LaSal Mtns. a couple of weeks ago for some of the fall color.

Oowah Lake

Down in Santa Fe, NM I got a nice photo of Field Crescent butterfly

On a hike up in the Utah slickrock desert I came across the remains of an Ord's kangaroo rat. I'm always surprised to find the remains of a rodent out here that hasn't been found and eaten by some other bird or animal.
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

I had to stay away from the wetlands for a few weeks due to the profusion of ragweed that was growing and pollenating there. My allergies were miserable this year in the late summer and I couldn't bring myself to even go near there but the weeds have dried up and I'm making regular morning walks through there these days again.
I've been seeing a doe and her two fawns this past week, usually near the viewing blind.

The birding is becoming much easier with the coming of fall. There are lots of dry sunflowers and russian olive berries for them to feed on and the trees are, of course, less foliated for better viewing. I've been seeing numerous magpies, northern flickers, spotted towhees, white crowned sparrows and the occaisonal Cooper's hawk.
Here's a flock of redwing blackbirds.
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

It looked like winter was about to make it's way onto the plateau with the first snow in the LaSals on Oct. 24, folowed by our first hard freeze that night down here in the valley.

Thankfully the cold snap didn't last more than a few days but the scenery along the river was pretty nice early in the mornings from the wetlands.

The weather and temps have been so nice this past week we went camping for a couple of nights and on a hike up a canyon I found flowers blooming that usually bloom in the spring.
Dwarf Lupine

Canaigre

Tiny butterflies on a Utah Daisy

yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

An owl pellet under a Utah juniper

Mushrooms in the desert? They were all around in a dry wash.

yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

I had a short encounter with a great horned owl last week while hiking through the slickrock domes of the Sand Flats Rec. Area. Between the sandstone domes lie short, sandy canyon-like areas full of vegetation including pinyon and juniper trees. I scrambled up the rock to one of these areas and started into it past a large Utah juniper when I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and a GHO flew past without a sound. He flew up the little canyon area and over some trees out of site. I pulled out my camera and kept walking hoping I might see where he landed. I got to a clearing at the end with a few more trees nearby but couldn't tell if he was around. A second later he took off out of a pinyon and I managed to get a distant shot of him.

A couple of days later I got out hiking around some rocky outcrops out in the desert, really good packrat habitat, and found the pelvis and part of a spine of a cottontail tucked up inside one.
Packrats are cool, I could spend days looking for their middens just to see what they collect from the desert.

It's been getting pretty cold here the last few weeks and we went out camping around the 17th-19th of Nov. and that was the last time I saw a lizard out and about. They seem to have all gone to wherever they go for the winter.

We had our first snow storm down here in the valleys on the 24th. I headed out for the wetlands that morning hoping to find some fresh tracks and see who was out and about in the snow.

There was only one set of fresh tracks.

The 1-2-1 sequence in the trail is pretty common for a loping striped skunk and a close examination of a single print shows the long nails as well.

On my way out I caught a glimpse of a pair of muledeer moving through the woods like a couple of ghosts. They had seen me first and just seemed to evaporate.
LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by LDMGOLD »

My wife and I love your photos of the plateau country in late fall. She was born in St. Johns and made many trips north into the Colorado River and San Juan country before Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell. She relates well with Kate.

Thanks for sharing such beauty with the us.

Tom K.
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

LDMGOLD wrote:My wife and I love your photos of the plateau country in late fall. She was born in St. Johns and made many trips north into the Colorado River and San Juan country before Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell. She relates well with Kate.

Thanks for sharing such beauty with the us.

Tom K.
Thanks Tom, glad you and your wife are enjoying this. Your wife is fortunate to have seen the river before the dam.
Do you mean Katie Lee?
http://www.katydoodit.com/index.shtml